Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to radial tires

Hey, y'all.

So I've got an 85 GS1150E, with a 16 inch front wheel and a 17 inch rear. Stock suspension. I want to upgrade my rims/tires to modern (radial) tires. I also want to raise the height a little so I can lean farther without scraping the engine on the ground.

So what's the easiest/least amount of parts involved way to get said tires/rims? I am ok using stock forks, and I don't want to get a new swingarm, so I'm ok using a narrower tire. Raising the height is desired, but optional if it's too involved. I got some great info from Posplayr regarding this swap, but I wanna hear what the rest of you have to say.

Thanks so much!

-x01660

Going with radial tires will require MUCH wider wheels than any GS ever thought of wearing.

Not sure what sizes you had in mind, but you WILL need wider wheels.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Going with radial tires will require MUCH wider wheels than any GS ever thought of wearing.

Not sure what sizes you had in mind, but you WILL need wider wheels.

What about modern 250cc or 400cc rims? They look pretty narrow... I know I'll have to get rims. That's a given. I just wanna know if I have to switch out my swingarm and forks in order to do so.

-x01660

Comment

It would be my GUESS that the rims that were designed for 250 and 400cc bikes will certainly be able to handle tires that were designed FOR THOSE BIKES. Something tells me, however, that any 250 or 400cc bike that has radial tires weighs a LOT less than your GS. I think "weight rating" will be an important factor.

Good luck with your search, be sure to let us know what you find.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Continental classic attack tires may be what you are looking for. Looks like 19s on the front and 18s on the rear? They are narrow cross section designed to work on our old bikes.
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by x01660 View Post
            Hey, y'all.

So I've got an 85 GS1150E, with a 16 inch front wheel and a 17 inch rear. Stock suspension. I want to upgrade my rims/tires to modern (radial) tires. I also want to raise the height a little so I can lean farther without scraping the engine on the ground.

So what's the easiest/least amount of parts involved way to get said tires/rims? I am ok using stock forks, and I don't want to get a new swingarm, so I'm ok using a narrower tire. Raising the height is desired, but optional if it's too involved. I got some great info from Posplayr regarding this swap, but I wanna hear what the rest of you have to say.

Thanks so much!

-x01660
            You don't need more lean angle. The center stand scrapes before the engine does. Definitely do not install wider than a 120 front/130 rear if you keep the stock rims.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
              Continental classic attack tires may be what you are looking for. Looks like 19s on the front and 18s on the rear? They are narrow cross section designed to work on our old bikes.
              You've got my attention; do they have those here in the US?

-x01660

Comment

If you want your bike to handle better, you would be far better off improving your suspension, which you say is stock. Get better springs, fresh oil in the forks and a Ducati M900 shock in the rear. Then properly set the sag for your weight. What you are looking for is not to be found in the tires. Beyond that, adjust your riding style: It is not necessary to drag parts to be fast.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  If you want your bike to handle better, you would be far better off improving your suspension, which you say is stock. Get better springs, fresh oil in the forks and a Ducati M900 shock in the rear. Then properly set the sag for your weight. What you are looking for is not to be found in the tires. Beyond that, adjust your riding style: It is not necessary to drag parts to be fast.
                  That there is the truth of the matter for better handling.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Not stock
                    Ducati monoshock
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you can find a 1st gen upside down fork GSXR1100 front end it bolts straight on (same steering bearings) and is the longest of the USD forks. I think they 90-93?

There's probably a bunch of threads on here about rear wheel swaps - pretty sure the same GSXR rear wheel can squeeze into you existing swingarm.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                        If you can find a 1st gen upside down fork GSXR1100 front end it bolts straight on (same steering bearings) and is the longest of the USD forks. I think they 90-93?

There's probably a bunch of threads on here about rear wheel swaps - pretty sure the same GSXR rear wheel can squeeze into you existing swingarm.
                        This is some GREAT info!!! I'm assuming they are much thicker than the 1150 forks, and you're saying I won't have to mod anything to get them to fit? Or am I missing something? Because if that's the case, I might as well try to track down a complete front end, with the brakes (since I wanna upgrade those as well)... Thanks for the tip!

-x01660

Comment

Working...
                        X