Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twin pot brakes issue

Hello All,

I recently did the salty monk twin pot brake upgrade. Now that I am all finshed and have the brakes bled I noticed the front wheel does not seem to spin very freely? It kinda feels like the pads rub the rotors?!?!?

The bike still seems pretty easy to push around so they don't seem to be rubbing really bad. But when I put it on center stand and jack bike up the wheel will not coast and stops quickly after rotation. I am afraid that since they rub a little that once they heat up the breaks will lock up and wreck me while damage my freshly restored GS.

Any suggestions? Should I be worried? I am getting ready to go on a 3000 mile trip and this is my only worry at this point.

Thank you!

Mark

Originally posted by odl777 View Post
    Should I be worried? I am getting ready to go on a 3000 mile trip and this is my only worry at this point.

Thank you!

Mark
    Should you be worried, no. Should you fix it? Hell yes!

Go on a trip with brakes getting ready to lock up? Really?

Could be the caliper isn't lined up right for some reason, could be the master cylinder's compensation port is blocked, could be the lines are blocked, could be the wrong spacer, could be most anything but what it couldn't be is supposed to be that way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My thoughts exactly!!!

I have all new brake lines, clean front master cylinder and pretty much cleaned everything before assembly.

What are suggestions for fixes? what can I try? Should I rebuild calipers? they look pretty decent?

thank you!

Comment

The Kawasaki calipers are very easy to open up, you can get the rubber parts for $20 from a guy on the Connie forum. I'd look inside them if you haven't yet. Probably too much gunk in there to move smoothly.

I had one doing the same thing on my 550, took it apart and cleaned to out, new rubber, good to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the master cylinder is free & you have checked clearances everywhere else then I would suspect gunk in the calipers as Tkent says.
          If the pistons are sticky they will not retract.

Also the return port in the master cylinder is tiny, make sure it's clear

Also want to make sure you checked the clearance between the fork leg & the speedo drive dust cover. Usually if it was this then it would bind a lot more than you suggest.

That is the bit that looks like:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X