Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel braided lines & torque spec

Hello yet again fellow GS peeps!
    I'm about to change my front brake lines to steel braided lines and I'm wondering what the lines should be torqued to at the master cylinder and calipers?
    Thanks in advance
    Rod

I think it depends on your crush washers. I would recommend OEM washers. I got some off brand copper crush washers and had to tighten them quite a bit until they stopped leaking. They work fine once I got them sealed but it would have been a lot less torque with the Suzuki part.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by rodgs1100es View Post
      I'm about to change my front brake lines to steel braided lines and I'm wondering what the lines should be torqued to at the master cylinder and calipers?
      What does your shop manual specify for torque? That is the number I would be using.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        I think it depends on your crush washers. I would recommend OEM washers. I got some off brand copper crush washers and had to tighten them quite a bit until they stopped leaking. They work fine once I got them sealed but it would have been a lot less torque with the Suzuki part.
        I'm going to use the washers that were supplied with the lines I had made, the lines are good quality so I'm hoping the washers are as well.
        I've seen the spec of 16.5 Lbs. in a couple of different places so I'll start there.
        Once again, thank you for your help.

Comment

I'm going to use the washers that were supplied with the lines I had made,
          Ask the supplier.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm going to use the washers that were supplied with the lines I had made, the lines are good quality so I'm hoping the washers are as well.
            I've seen the spec of 16.5 Lbs. in a couple of different places so I'll start there.
            Once again, thank you for your help.
            My 1100E manual says banjo bolts get 14.5-18 ft-lb. Just a suggestion, find a manual and keep it handy before something goes wrong using guesswork instead of the correct specs. The manual is on the interwebs in pdf format for free if you look.

EDIT - I can't stand to see someone not have a manual, so assuming you have an 1100ES as your username implies, here is the link:

Mark
            Last edited by mmattockx; 06-26-2014, 12:44 AM.
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Ask the supplier.
              Good advice, waiting for answer back, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                My 1100E manual says banjo bolts get 14.5-18 ft-lb. Just a suggestion, find a manual and keep it handy before something goes wrong using guesswork instead of the correct specs. The manual is on the interwebs in pdf format for free if you look.

EDIT - I can't stand to see someone not have a manual, so assuming you have an 1100ES as your username implies, here is the link:

Mark
                Thanks Mark! downloaded and ready for future use.
                I really appreciate the assistance .
                Rod

Comment

Working...
                X