Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper upgrade 83 GS1100ES?

Hey Gang!
    Is there any such thing as a caliper upgrade over OEM for my 83 GS1100ES, short of grafting on a later model front end?
    Thank in advance
    Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rodgs1100es View Post
      Hey Gang!
      Is there any such thing as a caliper upgrade over OEM for my 83 GS1100ES, short of grafting on a later model front end?
      Thank in advance
      Rod
      Anything is possible given time and resources (sure, it's spelled r-e-s-e-o-u-r-c-e-s... but it's pronounced CASH)

Spondon monoblock calipers on Kosman discs

Comment

[QUOTE=slayer61;2091318]Anything is possible given time and resources (sure, it's spelled r-e-s-e-o-u-r-c-e-s... but it's pronounced CASH)

Very Nice!!
        Those are CUBIC MEGA r-e-s-o-u-r-c-e-s!
        Don't get me wrong I love my old GS and I hope what I'm about to say doesn't get me lynched or at very least banned for life from this site, but:
        Before that much dough went into this bike there would be something of a MUCH later model in it's parking space.
        I'm just sayin!

Comment

I'd much rather have a properly resto-modded older beast than any new counterpart. Slayer's bike is a work of art and not just another Busa.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

The Kawasaki twinpot mod will work. I have the same fork legs as you on my skunk...

thanks for for posting the link posplayr
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              The Kawasaki twinpot mod will work. I have the same fork legs as you on my skunk...

thanks for for posting the link posplayr
              Thanks for the information.
              I've read through most of the postings and am very interested in doing the mod.
              Do you currently have the complete brackets and hardware on hand with spacers for the Honda style rotors?
              I understand that I'll need to find the correct calipers.
              I assume that I'll need to find calipers with OEM mounting brackets?
              Will these ones do the job?:

Or these:
              http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tchlink:top:en
              How much for the mounting kit shipped to Canada?
              Thanks
              Rod
              Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

my es sports the saltymonk upgrade, very nice.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                  my es sports the saltymonk upgrade, very nice.
                  Question for you Greg?:
                  Did you keep the anti dive setup or not?
                  Thanks
                  Rod

Comment

i installed racetech springs and emulators and deleted the anti-dive. i like the setup.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Both of those look to be the correct calipers. Note that the socket head cap screws on the first set are not the OEM bolts and the second set don't show any mounting bolts. Those calipers use the EBC #FA129 pad and you can go to their catalog and see a cross referencing of all the bike models that use the 129 pad. The catalog is at:

Look at page 249 for the FA129 pad info. All of the ZX600 C models (1988-1995 or so) use those calipers as well as a number of others from the Kawasaki line up.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

[QUOTE=rodgs1100es;2091468]
                        Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                        Anything is possible given time and resources (sure, it's spelled r-e-s-e-o-u-r-c-e-s... but it's pronounced CASH)

Very Nice!!
                        Those are CUBIC MEGA r-e-s-o-u-r-c-e-s!
                        Don't get me wrong I love my old GS and I hope what I'm about to say doesn't get me lynched or at very least banned for life from this site, but:
                        Before that much dough went into this bike there would be something of a MUCH later model in it's parking space.
                        I'm just sayin!
                        Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        I'd much rather have a properly resto-modded older beast than any new counterpart. Slayer's bike is a work of art and not just another Busa.
                        When I was wasting time at the motorcycle races in my youth, there was no such thing as 'Busa's, ZX-14s or GSXRs. Unlike now,If you wanted a race bike you built it by carefully assembling expensive and sometimes exotic parts. This bike recreates the fond memories of my youth and the bikes I watched at Willow Springs, Riverside and Ontario.

I have a 2005 ZRX that I take out occasionally and as comfortable and reliable as it is... it's just a "wall flower", it never gets a second glance as they're everywhere.

When I take out my ES, it draws a crowd without fail. It's loud, uncomfortable (for an old guy like me!) and brutally fast. I gotta admit... I like the attention it attracts!

Thanks everybody for the comments and compliments. Paul

Comment

[QUOTE=slayer61;2092921]
                          Originally posted by rodgs1100es View Post

When I was wasting time at the motorcycle races in my youth, there was no such thing as 'Busa's, ZX-14s or GSXRs. Unlike now,If you wanted a race bike you built it by carefully assembling expensive and sometimes exotic parts. This bike recreates the fond memories of my youth and the bikes I watched at Willow Springs, Riverside and Ontario.

I have a 2005 ZRX that I take out occasionally and as comfortable and reliable as it is... it's just a "wall flower", it never gets a second glance as they're everywhere.

When I take out my ES, it draws a crowd without fail. It's loud, uncomfortable (for an old guy like me!) and brutally fast. I gotta admit... I like the attention it attracts!

Thanks everybody for the comments and compliments. Paul
                          I fully understand your point.
                          I as well spent my time at the track, as a matter of fact I worked at one for a number of years as well as worked in the 'Bike Business" for a time.
                          I think your bike is a wonderful creation and let me be clear, I have the means to ride just about anything I like, I choose to ride my ES as a matter of fact I passed on a chance to downright STEAL one of the modern day marvels yesterday (my decidedly better half even gave it the OK!)
                          I too enjoy the attention the bike gets, much more than any common factory unit would get and I'm an old guy as well.

I will continue on with my (be it much milder that yours) restomoding of the old beast and love every kilometer (yup I'm Canadian) I travel on it.
                          I in no way intended to criticize or minimize your considerable and laudable efforts to create the one of a kind machine you have.
                          Best regards

Rod

Comment

I do have brackets on the shelf. Not much more expensive to Canada from memory $5 different first class & extra $15 by priority.

On my 1100E forks I deleted the anti-dive but aside from the "feel" I don't think it would matter whether you did or didn't... same master cylinder so the amount of fluid being pushed should be the same & the anti dive only activate when pressure builds in the brake line from memory.

If you want a set then PM me

Last edited by salty_monk; 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X