Need advice on front end swap for 83 Katana 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on front end swap for 83 Katana 1100

Looking for advice on front end swap on 1983 GS1100S Katana. It has a non stock frontend on it now but it sits too low & drags the pipes at the bottom. Ive been told its a later 600 katana front end but not sure. The rear is a GSXR wheel on what looks to be a stock swingarm, I bought the bike cheap and it has a stout motor in it. Id appreciate any advice from you guys that have done this swap. Ive read about using a GSXR 750 front end but am not sure of the year. I don't want anything that Id have to use clip ons with as Im chronologically challenged {OLD} Thanks for any help you could pass on

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
    Looking for advice on front end swap on 1983 GS1100S Katana. It has a non stock frontend on it now but it sits too low & drags the pipes at the bottom. Ive been told its a later 600 katana front end but not sure. The rear is a GSXR wheel on what looks to be a stock swingarm, I bought the bike cheap and it has a stout motor in it. Id appreciate any advice from you guys that have done this swap. Ive read about using a GSXR 750 front end but am not sure of the year. I don't want anything that Id have to use clip ons with as Im chronologically challenged {OLD} Thanks for any help you could pass on

since you dont know much about what you have, at least provide some pictures and how much you want to spend.

Comment

Ill try emailing you the pictures, I cant get them to post . The bike has a170/60X17 on the rear & a 120/60X17 on the front now. I wont be able to ride it very far when its done anyway because the position is too hard on my back
      Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM. Reason: pictures wouldnt post

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
        Ill try emailing you the pictures, I cant get them to post . The bike has a170/60X17 on the rear & a 120/60X17 on the front now. I wont be able to ride it very far when its done anyway because the position is too hard on my back
        I uploaded all the pictures to a Photobucket account. It looks like you have a very nice start at a resto mod. That is a very expensive pipe depending upon how much rust and damage you already ready might have. Be careful going over bumps and into driveways. No need to crush it more.

Looks like some nice vintage shocks as well.

So the rear a 17x5.5" wheel with 170/60-17. That probably also has a 530 conversion and 5/8" offset counter sprocket. Take a straight edge against the tire to see if the chain is aligned (I used a 6' construction level) Check your gear ratio to see how much he changed it from stock 2.8:1

Those forks do not look like GSXR but it is hard to tell. You need to unweight the front wheel and measure the total length from axle to the top of the stanchion.
        You also need to find the link on how to post pictures. Use photobucket or something else.

Comment

If you plan to keep it you might check into the Bandit front end posts that are going on. Those are longer forks , but first compared to the length you are running. If they are 600 Katana they are probably pretty short.

Comment

I think the forum guys were all saying that it looked like a 97 & up 600/750 Katana front end. I need something longer because it was smashing the bottoms of the pipes. I had a muffler shop heat them and pull them out the best they could. Ill search and see what I can find on the Bandit front end swaps. Thank you for your time and advise. It appears that they used the stock top triple tree on the conversion because it has clamp on bars with a bolt in them too. I bought it off someone who didn't know anything about it so its been a big puzzle to figure out

Comment

The other thing to do is make sure you have sufficent spring rate. If the springs are stock they could be week and there is no hurts tee about how they match your weight. Measure the length to see how the compare. They maybe close enough you can just stiffen up the springs. Check your static sag and put some tie straps on a stantions. Rid it and see if you are bottoming out. Braking seems to be worst for me.

on the cheap you can cut springs and add spacers. Else go to one of the aftermarket suppliers.

Comment

The motor is all done & running good, I just need to find a Pingel petcock with a 2 bolt adaptor that will fit and a gas cap. I measured the chain links today and it is a 530 chain. Ill pull the side cover over the sprockets off and see what the chain lineup looks like and figure the gearing out next. Thanks again for your help. Would you or some one else happen to have a picture looking down at a stock 83 Gs1100 Kats top triple tree with the bars on it ? I don't know what a stock one looks like

Comment

Working...
                X