Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular GS750 forks on GS750L

Hello,

Does anyone know if the forks of a GS750 are the same as on a GS750L, or would those of a GS750L be longer?

If they are longer, is it possible to switch them over, 'plug and play'?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

you did not mention what particular model you have and what model the forks are from (I.E. - GS750LN, GS750ET, etc.). this helps to identify the parts in question to the forum members and determine a course of action. the model information tag is located on the headstock tube of the frame.

most, if not all of the L models had what are called leading axle forks, meaning that the axle is mounted out in front of the lower fork tubes about 3 inches up from the bottom instead of at the very bottom like most E and G models. the leading axle setup requires a very specific triple clamp with very little offset and for that reason you MUST match leading triples with leading forks, and conventional triples with conventional forks or very unstable handling will result. early 8-valve GS750E/B triples have odd bearings and will be harder to adapt to an L model which will have tapered roller bearings.

you also did not mention your end goal of the swap. in the end if you stay with GS750 forks prior to 1983 you will still have rather smallish 35mm fork tubes.

perhaps consider getting a set of forks/triples from an 80-up GS850G model which will be 37mm; G model forks also avoid all the anti-dive business on 82-83 GS1100EZ/ED-model forks

Comment

Gonna wait until he gives us the year model he is looking at.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hello,

I'm sorry for forgetting to mention this. It is a '80 GS750L, a 16 valve, maybe this might have some importance. It's a European model.

My plans are to give it more off a Brat look. So with some lower forks and maybe higher springs in the back, I thought maybe I could get the bike standing 'flat' like a normal GS750, and not angled, what gives the L something of a chopper look.
        I know an L isn't the best model to begin with, but I want to try it anyway.

Thanks already!

Comment

Originally posted by Sjarzebuzze View Post
          Hello,

I'm sorry for forgetting to mention this. It is a '80 GS750L, a 16 valve, maybe this might have some importance. It's a European model.

My plans are to give it more off a Brat look. So with some lower forks and maybe higher springs in the back, I thought maybe I could get the bike standing 'flat' like a normal GS750, and not angled, what gives the L something of a chopper look.
          I know an L isn't the best model to begin with, but I want to try it anyway.

Thanks already!
          The forks on your bike are the same ones on the 80-81 750E model, Nothing different about them. Now if you want to step up to a bigger fork, get the complete from end from a 80-81 1100E. Triple trees and axle. It is a direct bolt on. Uses your front wheel and fender as well. I think the steering head angle on the L is what the difference is, think it is raked out a bit more the E model. Not sure, Your rear wheel is different, it is a 16 to the E's 18 inch wheel and I think the L uses a slighter shorter rear shock?.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X