Rotor swapping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor swapping question

My rotor on my GS is pretty worn out. At my local salvage shop I found a gs1000 with drilled and rotors. Will one of these swap onto my 1979 gs550 wheel?

Ahhhh, a wheel rotor. (there is also one on the end of the crankshaft that can be swapped)

I think your rotor is a different diameter and possibly a different offset, but can't say for sure.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Ahhhh, a wheel rotor. (there is also one on the end of the crankshaft that can be swapped)

I think your rotor is a different diameter and possibly a different offset, but can't say for sure.

I did post in the Tires/Suspension/Brakes section lol. Just kidding guess my best course of action is to just go there and do some measuring. Good to know on the other rotor though should anything ever go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Which models/years have a slotted stator rotor? Is there an advantage to using these?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          Which models/years have a slotted stator rotor? Is there an advantage to using these?
          Weight Reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            Since we all know there is no such thing as a "stator rotor", your baiting will not work, Eric.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Duel disc and single disc rotors have a different diameter. The single is a larger disc and the caliper is mounted higher on the fork. If your 550 is duel and the 1000 is duel than the swap should work and visa versa. If the 1000 is a single and is like my '78 1000C, then it should have a solid(no holes) disc, not drilled unless a PO changed it or drilled it themselves. The E models came with the duel discs. The only benefit to a drilled rotor is weight reduction, and has nothing to do with stopping or cooling.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I'll bite!

Stator rotor = that round thingy on the end of the crankthingy. It has a slot for the keythingy.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  Duel disc and single disc rotors have a different diameter. The single is a larger disc and the caliper is mounted higher on the fork. If your 550 is duel and the 1000 is duel than the swap should work and visa versa. If the 1000 is a single and is like my '78 1000C, then it should have a solid(no holes) disc, not drilled unless a PO changed it or drilled it themselves. The E models came with the duel discs. The only benefit to a drilled rotor is weight reduction, and has nothing to do with stopping or cooling.
                  Disagree. Advantages of a slotted/drilled disc rotor:

Drilled and Slotted Rotors are some of the the best Brake Rotors in the industry. SP Drilled and Slotted Rotors stand above the rest. Our Drilled and Slotted Rotors contain no sharp edges on the brake rotor surface which reduces the chance of cracking or heat checking.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Though I am not sure on this I do believe a slotted rotor would help with heat dissipation also?

Just posted though opened a while back and without link above.
                    All info that is good to know!

Hi Mr Bill!
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

That article has a valid point, but if you look at the rotors they display and are promoting for purchace, are for automobiles and the like and have ventilating pasasages between the disc surfaces. Later bikes and other manufacturers like on my '84 Yamaha FJ1100 use simular technology as the article states to aid in cooling, but..... our bikes don't. Ours are stamped solid steel and were drilled for weight reduction.
                      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Gotcha Rick.
                        I always figure the extra surface (holes) would have the same though not as great affect as cooling fins.
                        Guess not.

Comment

The rotors used on our bikes are machined stainless steel.

Comment

The technology used on modern high performance sport bikes, make our brakes look like only a few steps above dragging our feet or pressing a board against the tire tread.
                            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

The surface where the pads squeeze are machined to ensure a flat surface, but I'm not to sure on the stainless part. I've see rusty rotors before. Then again I've also seen items that were stamped stainless steel rust also. Feel both sides of tie areas of the rotor that hasn't been machined and you should feel a sharp edge on one side and rounded edges on the other. An indication of it being stamped.
                              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X