Sway in '81 100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway in '81 100e

I just picked up an '81 GS1100e. Runs great and looks great but when I took it out on the road I noticed that there seems to be a bit of a sway on the straightaway. Say, I'm just coasting along at 30 MPH in the city on a straight road. It feels like the tires are wanting to sway from side to side with sort of a rocking motion. Tires are pretty much brand new. Any other suggestions for what might be the cause? I had a Honda CB 750 that had somewhat similar issues due to the the crown bearings being mistightened but I don't know that this is quite the same issue.

Tire pressure good?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Swing arm bushings?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
        Tire pressure good?
        Front is fine. rear is on the low end of the range and I'm planning to experiment with some higher pressures to see if that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Swing arm bushings?
          Good question. I'll look into it

Comment

All good suggestions, so far, but I will add: check the steering bearings. Not just the tension, but overall condition. Raise the front wheel off the ground, see if the wheel turns smoothly from side to side. Especially notice if there is a "notch" in the motion as it crosses straight-ahead. If you feel that notch, it's time to replace the bearings.

You say that the tires are "pretty much brand new". Is that according to tread wear or the date code? Don't trust tread wear to date the tires.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X