gs450 upper fork slider bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 upper fork slider bushings

i could use some insight here.. I think I know the answer but I want to make sure before. I am in the middle of a rebuild of an 85 gs450l. I am putting the forks back together. My question is around the upper slider bushing, the one that fits in the outer tube below the seal. i pushed the slider bushing into its recess and now the inner tube will not go in because of the slider on that tube.

I am assuming that I should of installed the inner tube w/dampening first? Then try to press the bushing in? the problem with that is there is little space to drive that in (between the wall of the outer tube and the seal.) none of the books address it.

the slider is metal, its a snug fit and at this point to get it out, i will probably need to destroy it to remove. the good news is the part still seems to be available

Its been a few months since i disassembled it and i believe it (slider bushing) came out when i was sliding the tubes apart to pull the inner tube out.

Anyway, is what i should of done is assemble the tubes together then bushing, washer, seal etc?

thanks in advance

like to help but I'm having the usual trouble with terminology. This all sounds way more complicated than anything I did to replace seals ( my inner bushing I deemed "good enough")....This (link) parts fiche shows the order of parts and might help explain it? Or any pix?

Comment

thanks... i know it sounds confusing. maybe this will help?

#22 on the parts fiche is a slider bushing (that is what its called on the fiche in the US, on yours it is called a piston) that fits around the bottom of the inner tube. It is a split bushing that fits in a recess on the tube.

#14 on the fiche is a bushing guide that fits in the outer tube just below the seal. it is also a split bushing that is pressed / very snug fit, into the outer tube.

once #14 (bushing guide) is in, the inner tube will not slide in because the bushing on the bottom of that (#22) is too big to pass through the upper bushing. I will try to get some pics

Its been awhile but the last time i replaced seals (on a GS550) i do not recall this problem.

thanks!

Comment

gs450 fork bushings

Here are some pics that may help explain.

Here is the outer tube with out the bushing
        photo 3.jpg
        i just figured out that only 1 pic per post so i will do a couple other.. thanks

Comment

here is the bushing that goes in there
          photo 4.jpg

Comment

Here is the tube with the bushing inserted.
            photo 1.jpg

Comment

gs450 fork bushings

lastly, here is the bushing on the bottom of the inner fork tube.
              photo 2.jpg

the challenge is this (the inner tube) will not pass through into the outer tube with the other bushing in. There is little room to insert the other one with the tubes assembled.

I don't remember have this issue before.

thanks

Comment

I was thinking you had 14 too far into the tube, but I was wrong....hmmm

Comment

You've got it - put the tube in first followed by the bush. Make sure that the bush goes in square and if it needs a bit of persuasion to seat fully just tap it down with a length of PVC pipe (you might have to slit it lengthways to get the correct diameter).
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I wonder... if not,
                    Try matchless's pdf on replacing forkseals at the top of the page. His includes pictures of parts laid out.His are air-shocks like yours? Nowhere do I see #22 in it...What is UNDER #22 in your picture?.
                    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

The only split seal I recall (but it's an' 81) is the one on the inner damper mechanism. I wonder if #22 isn't wrong and is actually a cushion below inner tube?
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-13-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

thanks.. thats what i thought. I just dont remember going through this before. they say memory is the 2nd thing to go

Comment

I did look at those. thanks. doesnt address the bushings. not even the shop manual. I have both clymer and suzuki's. not a mention. i am just going to have to pull the one i put in and put the tube in first as hampshirehog suggested. thanks

Comment

I wonder if that collar Picture 2 #22 might be even a spacer to preload Fork springs....no spacer-82.jpghere's what my 81s' look like from the manual. But you've got air forks and newer bike.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-13-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

looking at your pics, your set up is quite different. no bushings at all! the ones on the 85 are used to center the inner tube as it travels. a preload spacer would sit on top of the springs i believe. i just hate when i think i am on a roll and i realize i am not!!!! :-)

Comment

But is your "collar" bushing (fiche #22) steel? or plastic/nylon? IF Plastic, the Hampshire-hog (post9) has it..put this tube in first followed by the (upper)bushing that sits below the fork seal.

Then, to put your new seal in you must slide the inner tube down as much as you can, and use/create a tool to set those seals "around" the inner. (and THIS is the process explained even in my 81 SUZUKI manual... a "special tool" is involved. But some slackers (like me) will put the seal in first and then slide the inner through it because we can..albeit carefully-we can wreck the seal easily.)

I expect your forks to be longer than mine being an 85L versus my 81s T and E and so a collar there makes sense.

But IF made of steel this thing seems wrong I'd be as nervous as you. It'd seem it'll destroy your lower outer aluminum tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X