Anyone try a 6 pot brake conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try a 6 pot brake conversion?

I'm looking into the feasibility of updating the brakes on my '83 1100E using 6 pot calipers. I haven't bought anything, yet.
    I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this. If so, please post the lessons you learned or PM me so I can get some advice.
    Thanks,
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

I've heard less than stellar things about 6 pot calipers. The general consensus seems to be that 4 pots are the best overall.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Never used them so take this for what it is worth (which is nothing), talking to guys who worked at buell years ago I was looking to go to 6 pot on my 1150 and was told by them that unless I had a larger brake rotor going to a 6 pot would not work as well. They were convinced the size of the rotor was way more important than the caliper. Of corse buell pushed that design to the limit.

Comment

Interesting. Any one else want to add their opinion or findings?
        Thanks a lot.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I have 6 piston calipers on my bike way better than original 1 piston but I am told the 4s are better. Something about the pad is too long on the 6
          sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
          1994 gsxr1100w
          1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

You get greater swept area with 6 piston calipers but they are said to flex a bit due to the length of them. 4 piston calipers for street use will be more than adequate and light years ahead of the single piston stcokers you have. You are going with floating rotors I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              You get greater swept area with 6 piston calipers but they are said to flex a bit due to the length of them. 4 piston calipers for street use will be more than adequate and light years ahead of the single piston stcokers you have. You are going with floating rotors I hope.
              I did the twin pot conversion on my last 1100G and was happy with the results. I was just looking for something better, if possible, this time around. I am/will be using floating CBR rotors. Thanks for your concern.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I'm not an expert but I believe the problem with mounting opposing piston calipers on a stock GS fork is there isn't enough room and the caliper will hit the wheel spokes.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I'm not an expert but I believe the problem with mounting opposing piston calipers on a stock GS fork is there isn't enough room and the caliper will hit the wheel spokes.
                  That is part of the problem.

Comment

6 Pot is really not that great... That's why Suzuki upgraded the gen 1 Hayabusa brakes from 6 pot to 4 pot when the Gen 2 came out... Get twin pot, it's more than adequate. Not to mention the general consensus is 6 pot brakes are a pain to bleed.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                      ...They were convinced the size of the rotor was way more important than the caliper...
                      Exactly correct. Caliper/piston layout details do matter some, but rotor diameter (or more correctly, rotor/tire diameter ratio) is way more critical.

The biggest braking improvement I've ever made, on any bike, was when I changed the front rim on a mini motard bike from a 19" to a 16". Didn't touch the brakes themselves, but the increased leverage that the brakes had on the contact patch made a world of difference. Enough that I locked up the front wheel and crashed going into turn 1, on my out lap. (In my defense, it was 38° and raining. )
                      Last edited by RichDesmond; 01-05-2015, 12:47 AM.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                      X