Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front fork inner tube repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork inner tube repair or replace?

Greetings to the faithful,

I am posting a photo of the inner tube of the front forks on an '81 GS850G and seeking wisdom on whether this damage is something that can be repaired (and if so, how), or does it need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any input.

IMG_3087.jpg

Was that damage caused by someone trying to remove the fork seal?
    Where is it located in the piston travel of the fork tube? Bigger picture showing it in entirety next to the fork lower?

Comment

Yes, I believe it was damaged by a rather unscrupulous mechanic in the course of a fork seal change, who didn't bother to own up to the mistake. You don't even want to see what he did to the bolts at the bottom of the housing...

As I don't have it in front of me, from memory, I'd say it is roughly in the middle of the tube. Alas, I don't have a photo showing it all together.

Thanks.

Comment

Basically if the damaged area is going to hit the seal at any point during it's travel while riding it needs replacing.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

IIRC, the '81 850 and 1000 shared the same forks? 37mm tubes on both? If so, I know that I have a good tube that could be shipped to Costa Rica if you can't find one closer.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            IIRC, the '81 850 and 1000 shared the same forks? 37mm tubes on both? If so, I know that I have a good tube that could be shipped to Costa Rica if you can't find one closer.
            Got two? They were both damaged equally. I'd have someone bring them to me. How much would you want for them?

Comment

PM is on the way...

Comment

Working...
              X