wheel interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel interchangability

So i'd like to stick some slightly more modern rolling stock on the 550es. Does anyone know if there are near bolt on wheels? I assume the rear would be easiest since its still single disc and chain drive. But the front disc size would end up being the rub.

I was thinking gsx600f/sv650 for donor bikes.

Am I barking up a really tedious tree? I'm not looking to run some 180 rear tire to look like the cool kids, but the tire selection of a 130/70/17 would be really nice.

And along with this, would it be worth it to throw the same donor bike front and rear suspension on?

I recall reading certain year gsxr600 rear monoshocks bolt on when flipped, but i can't recall the years.

Comment

Would that do the trick?

Comment

Would that do the trick?

Comment

You want to look cool or be able to ride the thing? Your bike was designed with the narrow tire/wheel. You might be able to slap a different swingarm in there, but then you might have to install an offset sprocket at the front or maybe even remove the sprocket cover to allow clearance for the chain that is WAY out there to clear the wide tire.

Think how much better it would be to learn to ride the bike, so when all the "cool" kids go out, they will have a hard time keeping up with you, because you know how to ride and you have a bike that will actually handle.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nothing to do with fitting in. If that were the case, i'd have bought a Harley. It comes down to tire availability. Its getting to be a pretty odd size combo. A 20mm width increase and carcass roll angle isn't catastrophic.

Comment

Rear wheel fitment tends to be more difficult/involved because of chain and caliper alignment, even when rubbing on the narrow swingarm isn't. Path of least resistance for both front and rear is swingarm and forks swaps with the donor model. Otherwise there is usually much machining and gnashing of teeth involved.

Comment

Working...
              X