1978 gs750 rear brake pivot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs750 rear brake pivot

I have identified that the rear brake lever pivot is too stiff, but I cannot push it out to clean it up or grease. Very Very difficult. Am I missing something? shouldn't it just push out?

The one on my 850 was stuck solid when I got it. Give it a good soak with penetrating oil and try and work it little by little. Eventually it will come free. Then remove it, clean it up and grease it.

It takes a bit of work and time but it should come free.

Don't be tempted to hammer it out, you'll just mushroom the splined end and then it won't come out at all.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Like was said above...20 years of sitting there and grease turns to glue. Some penetrating oil and a wood dowel to drive the axle out do wonders.

Or you can leave the axle nut on right at the end of the axle and hit the axle back and forth to break it free and help the oil seep in. And a phillips screw driver in the hole used to hold the axle when tightening is a good grip point to twist and pull the axle out.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The end of an old broom stick and a 3lb hammer did the trick!

Comment

Working...
        X