Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info, thanks!

Comment

Use an impact BEFORE you take the springs out. Spring tension will keep the damper rods inside from turning. Usually.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great advice here, looking forward to diving into this project myself this weekend. Question, does just the centerstand and leaning the bike back get it up high enough to pull the forks out?

Comment

No, you need to tie it down in back, set something heavy on the seat, or put a block or jack or something under the front of the engine or frame. The front is heavier, at least until you get the wheel off. If it tips forward, the center stand folds up, the whole thing tips over. Ask me how I know this.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Many thanks for this thread, I haven't been able to ride because I have bad fork seals, finally getting around to changing them, springs and seals arrive this weekend. Hopefully back on the road soon.

Comment

A quick update, I did this over the last few days. I didn't need the special tool on my GS1000 forks. I used an impact wrench and it spun right out. Good stuff. I also tried the air pressure trick, and it's worth noting that over 100 PSI failed to pop the seals out on my bike, even over several days. It was great to have all the tutorials and tricks in this thread to lean on, though, thank you all!

Comment

Working...
              X