Puzzling brake question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puzzling brake question.

The front and rear brakes are both disk. The front brake calipers do not use a anti squeal shim and never squeal. The rear brake does use a anti squeal shim and will squeal loudly if it is not installed. Why?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

My bike uses shims on the front, none in back. The squeal is directly related to how stiff the mounting is. If the caliper/pad can vibrate in sympathy with the minute oscillations caused by minor irregularities in the disk, then you have the noise. The shim dampens this out.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Any springs in there, instead of shims? They can reduce the rattling and squealing, too.

Why the difference? Might have something to do with single/opposing pistons.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Springs are to stop the pads from rattling in the caliper. Shims are between the pad and piston to stop squeal. There is a grease sold for this purpose as well.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Any springs in there, instead of shims? They can reduce the rattling and squealing, too.

Why the difference? Might have something to do with single/opposing pistons.

There are no springs or shims on the front brake calipers, but there are springs and shims on the rear brake.
          Maybe the difference is due to the front using pistons on both sides of the rotor and the rear having a piston on one side only that causes a squeal.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            There are no springs or shims on the front brake calipers, but there are springs and shims on the rear brake.
            Maybe the difference is due to the front using pistons on both sides of the rotor and the rear having a piston on one side only that causes a squeal.
            On (most) GSes, the fronts have a single piston and the rears have pistons on both sides.

However, they all have a spring of some sort to keep the pads from rattling around. Squealing can usually be quelled by application of brake lube between the piston and the pad. If you have some sort of pad on the back of the piston, put the lube between the piston and the shim. I usually also clean up the sides of the pad and put a touch of lube there, if it rubs on the caliper anywhere.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              On (most) GSes, the fronts have a single piston and the rears have pistons on both sides.
              Seems I got it backwards. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X