Steering wobble GS1100ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wobble GS1100ES

I was on my way back from a ride this morning and slowing for a stop light out in the country with no one around. I took my hands off the handlebars for a moment to adjust my jacket cuff at about 25-30mph and the front fork began to wobble back and forth. It really took me by surprise. I am not in the habit of riding hands off but I didn't ever notice anything in the steering that would indicate that my grip was preventing this wobble. The bike always seems very stable. The only thing I've ever noticed is that it does not like to ride along a seam or crack repair. Is this normal? What makes it do this?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

It is normal if your bearings are a little loose. If you speed up it goes away. Just in that speed range you noticed. As soon as you put your hands on teh bars it goes away, so it just needs a little resistance in the headset to stop it.

remember to loosen up the top triple completely so you can compress the upper clamp

Comment

Thank you!
      sigpic

Comment

And while you're adjusting the steering head bearings....check the front tire for pressure, abnormal wear, wheel bearings, bent wheel, dragging brake rotor, then when you have a extra couple hours change the bushings inside the forks. and fresh fork oil of course.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          And while you're adjusting the steering head bearings....check the front tire for pressure, abnormal wear, wheel bearings, bent wheel, dragging brake rotor, then when you have a extra couple hours change the bushings inside the forks. and fresh fork oil of course.

I hear ya, but my ED did the exact same wobble at low speed 25-30 mph after having done everything in the suspension (Ohlins, emulators fork braces, Sport Demons). It went away with tightening the steering

Comment

I guess I should have asked: how do you know when they are tight enough? And I had no air pressure in the forks. Put in eight pounds. Doesn't seem like eight pounds would do much. Does it?
            sigpic

Comment

I do it by getting the front wheel off the ground and feeling how easily it moves. If it just flops, it is too much. On the Gixxers they actually use a fish scale. Something like 1 lbs to move it (refer to that manual). If it feels notchy then you have it too tight or there are bad bearing. <br>
              <br>
              At the least make sure it doesn't flop under it's own weight when you move it slightly off center.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X