Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" wheel capability and set ups

Sorry if this has been beat to death.
    I have a 78 GS750E. I am going to run a complete (forks, triples, brakes) 84 1150ES front end on it. I would like to run modern 17" wheels front and back on it. I've read that early a 90's GSXR1100 front wheel will work. Do I need any special axle spacers or wheel bearings for this to work? Also, are there any rotors that will work with the stock 1150ES calipers?

For the rear, are there any 17"wheels that will work with the stock swingarm? If not what's the best swap?

Thanks!

you will probably have to run a GSXR rotor and adapter plates to get the caliper to run on the larger rotor.

On the rear you can get 17x4.5" wheel and forgo the chain clearance hassle of the 17x5.5" wheel. A 170/60-17 will help on the 5.5" wheel some.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Thanks for the super quick reply and helpful link!

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
        Thanks for the super quick reply and helpful link!

re: your prior question. You usually have to use the axle that comes with the forks and then use different bearings or spacers to adapt to the larger GSXR axle diameter.

The 1150 is either 14 or 15mm and the 2nd Gen GSXR is a 20mm so you need 5-6mm larger collar or find a different bearing with smaller ID.

Comment

I found out that I can search for bearings by size on all balls website. That should take care of any axle wheel bearing issues.

Has anyone ran a SV650 rear wheel? I've found they're 17x4.5. That's all I know about them right now. I'll see what other info I can dig up on them.

Comment

Well I got my 17x4.5 gsxr rear wheel. The 78 gs750 drive hub fit in it perfectly! Bearing are even the same size. All that's left is to figure out braking situation, front and rear.

Comment

Working...
            X