Fork disassembly tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork disassembly tool

So after searching and re-searching and grinding over about 200 posts (at least) on this and several other forums I figured out a way to make my tool to disassemble the forks completely for new fork seals and fluid flush on my 850 and her 750. After reading that the proper tool would have a 19mm hex and be at least 24" long, I found a 19mm hex socket and a 24" long, 1/2" drive extension to do the job quite nicely. The hex socket is barely larger around than the shaft of the extension so it all should go down the fork tube nicely. I know I could have simply made one but I don't have a welder (yet) and I wanted something a bit nicer than the all thread and nuts, not to mention finding the all thread and stuff locally is a pain and with stuff like that I am loathe to order it online. Stuff like that I like to hold in my hands etc. before I buy. Anyways, pics.
    Pic is a bit dark but you get the idea of the overall length.

This pic shows the hex socket and its diameter vs the diameter of the extension.

Will be getting off early tomorrow so hopefully I can get the forks dropped and pulled apart with this to see how I did sourcing the bits. Total price paid was US$30 so it certainly wasn't cheap but it was cheaper than the factory tool and is a tool that will be in my tool box for a LONG time so to me it was worth it.

About $6.

Two feet of 1/2" all-thread and four nuts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

about 50 cents and 30 mins......

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
        about 50 cents and 30 mins......
        It was only a few dollars to buy the wrenches I needed (and I have had them for several years). How much was the welder?

Not everybody happens to have a welder in the garage (shop), they are much more likely to have some wrenches (spanners).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very nice tool to add to the garage, nicely done. Don't let any local bikers know you have that tool or you will be busy
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Very nice tool to add to the garage, nicely done. Don't let any local bikers know you have that tool or you will be busy
            Lol it's all good in my book. I'll help for whomever I can. I've only met a few other riders of any older bikes in this area.

Comment

Nice work.
              All I use for them is a 50mm long 12 (or 14)mm bolt with two locknuts on it, and a 19mm socket on a long extension to get it down / along there. Cost - about next to nothing.
              It's true though; once you've got the tool you never need another one - that bolt kicked around my toolbox bottom drawer for years after I made it, for so long that I forgot what it was for. I was nearly making one up when I recalled that thing and the penny dropped.
              Last edited by Grimly; 06-24-2015, 06:34 PM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It was only a few dollars to buy the wrenches I needed (and I have had them for several years). How much was the welder?

Not everybody happens to have a welder in the garage (shop), they are much more likely to have some wrenches (spanners).

Welder was free, was where i worked. Thought it was like a show and tell this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  About $6.

Two feet of 1/2" all-thread and four nuts.

I made one like that when I rebuilt my forks, it twisted up like a pretzel. I ended up using a long extension and a spark plug socket.
                  82 GS1100E
                  five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
                  Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Other option is to use a hex head socket in a drill and loosen the bolt while the forks are still closed up
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
                      I made one like that when I rebuilt my forks, it twisted up like a pretzel. I ended up using a long extension and a spark plug socket.
                      Wow. You managed to twist 1/2" ready rod removing a 6mm bolt??
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I just disassembled mine. As stated earlier, I just compressed the forks and used a 3/8 impact gun on bottom bolt, then removed the caps. Super easy. No special tool.

Comment

Working...
                        X