Replacing tires - bike support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing tires - bike support?

I am going to be mounting and balancing my new tires this week. I'll be taking both the front and rear wheel off and taking them with me to my friends place in Chicago to mount and balance. What's the best way to support the rest of the bike while the wheels are off? I've never had both off at once before. Thanks!

Hang it from something solid? Can't fall that way.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can use a milk crate with tie down straps to hold it in place. I have a motorcycle lift I purchased from Harbor Freight that works well at lifting the whole bike off the ground. It has provision for securing the bike using the ratcheting tie down straps.

Just make sure you secure it to whatever you put it on.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Hang it from something solid? Can't fall that way.
        I must have heat stroke- I agree. 1/2 ton puller winch with eyebolt in ceiling joist- no chance that you'll knock it off any mickey mouse supports.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Like JTGS850GL, I use a lift, but I also add some extra security by throwing a couple of ratcheting straps over the joist in my garage if it is going to sit for any length of time.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I have that same Harbor Freight motorcycle jack, and plenty of ratchet straps. Do you have to take the exhaust off or just add some pieces of wood on top of the jack platform so that it presses against the oil pan vs the header pipes?

Comment

anyone have a photo of their bike supported like the suggestions above? i just want to make sure i do it correctly.

Comment

[/URL]

Don't do this above!

I use the center stand and I've made a support for the front end

[/URL]
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of it in action.

I've built up a little wooden form that fits around the pipes and oil pan so most of the pressure ends up on the frame, and I have (had) some rubber pads to help keep things from slipping around. The lift is a little too narrow to go comfortably across both frame tubes, so I used a piece of 3/4 ply as the bottom of the wooden form, to extend the base of support.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I just use a scissors jack (from a previous car) under the front of the engine while the bike is on the center stand.

If you are removing both wheels at the same time, remove the rear wheel first. If the rear wheel is still installed, you might not be able to lift the front enough to remove the front wheel past the front edge of the fender. However, if you put a 2x4 under the centerstand, it is easier to get BOTH wheels off, but still do the rear wheel first.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Per Steve above... no centrestand? put two more jacks under the footpegs (or go one at a time with the jack & use stands)
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Assuming your bike has a center stand roll the bike onto 2 boards of equal thickness. One under the front wheel, one under the center stand and rear wheel. Put the bike on its center stand. Remove the rear wheel. Apply some pressure to the rear of the bike so the front wheel comes up off the ground. Use a tie down under the rear of the board to hold the rear down to the board or put a block of wood under the exhaust pipes to hold the front wheel up in the air or just use a jack with a block of wood under the exhaust pipes to get the front wheel up in the air. Slide the block of wood that the front wheel was on out from under the wheel and remove the front wheel. A ladder or an overhead rafter and some tie down straps can alternatively be used to hold the front end up if it is not possible to solidly wedge stuff under the exhausts.

If you don't have a center stand you can use fork lift and a swingarm lift stands. (although a lower triple lift is shown, you only need a stand which lifts at the bottom of the forks)

A jack as posted by another member previously can be used or you can use an engine hoist with some tie downs.

Comment

Oooh! I love that idea Charlie. Nice work.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

I use the center stand and I've made a support for the front end

[/URL]

Comment

I think I may be able to do this, Steve. I removed the rear wheel last night. It's on the center stand, so I'll try to get my smaller jack under the front of the engine for support when I take the front one off. If anything seems unstable, I may just replace one tire at a time to avoid any accidents.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I just use a scissors jack (from a previous car) under the front of the engine while the bike is on the center stand.

If you are removing both wheels at the same time, remove the rear wheel first. If the rear wheel is still installed, you might not be able to lift the front enough to remove the front wheel past the front edge of the fender. However, if you put a 2x4 under the centerstand, it is easier to get BOTH wheels off, but still do the rear wheel first.

Comment

Working...
                            X