Suspension newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension newbie questions

I haven't touched my suspension since I purchased my bike, and now since my shocks are off because I'm replacing my tires, I thought I'd inspect them. However, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

How can I tell if these are still good? I don't ever bottom out or anything. I'm 5'10" and a larger woman....the settings on the shocks are both at #3. Any suggestions on different settings? I don't mind replacing them if it's necessary, but I not sure if they need to be replaced. Help! Haha.

If they work well I'd leave them. I'm a bigger guy and the units on my 850g are still good for me. The higher the number you have them set to the firmer they feel.

Comment

What setting do you have yours on?

Comment

Your shocks are only adjustable for preload. The objective of setting preload is to get the shocks to operate in the middle of their range which typically means you want the rear of the bike to compress about 1.25-1.5 inches from full extension (pulling the rear of the bike up till the shocks no longer extend) to static compression (sitting on the bike fully dressed to ride with your feet up). Generally takes at least 2 people if not 3 (you sitting on the bike, someone else holding the bike upright and a 3rd person to measure) to figure out the right setting for your weight.

You will know your shocks have worn out when after the preload is correctly set, if they bottom or top out when hitting bumps or the rear end pogos up and down after hitting bumps.

Comment

At a guess those are oil shocks. If you see oil leaking from the seal on the damper rod they are toast. The rubber bushes in the eyes at each end also deteriorate. If there is freeplay in that bush the rubber needs replacing at the least. Military medium three is where lots of five position shocks get set and left. It's like hedging your bets. I would do an experiment or two changing the setting to see how different it feels. Jack them up higher and the ride is harder but feels tighter. Get someone to hold your bars and push down hard on the back of the seat. Pogo-ing should be fairly obvious.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My 850GL has the stock shocks too. They actually still work okay. I would say if you're happy with the ride quality and handling, then keep 'em.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know how to adjust the preload without a special tool?
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Pipe wrench
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
              X