Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Break Bleading. Quantity of break fluid needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break Bleading. Quantity of break fluid needed?

Hi.

Before I do my break bleeding, how much break fluid should I buy for front and rear bleeding?

Thank you.

I've done a MC rebuild and when I bled the Brakes, 1 bottle of DOT 3/4 did the trick.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I like to suck about 2 resevoirs full per system. That way I am sure they are air free. And may I suggest ( if you havent already ) that you clean the calipers inside by disassembling them..youll be surprised at the gunk in there. Clean the groove the piston seals sets in so there is none of the chalky scale in there, clean the muck out of the piston wells, and inspect the pistons for signs of pitting. I would also suggest you open up the masters and clean the brown crap that gets stuck to the pistons in there too.

Get two small containers..if you dont open the second youll have some on hand for future use in the car or something.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good call chuck. I have brake shoes for the back tire so only one reservoir on my bike.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Was not able to flush the rear break. Can not get the lid off the reservoir. I'll have to look at it another time.
          I can lock up the rear breaks fairly easy so it's not the end of the world if I do not flush it.
          Did the front and did not take much fluid. 1x 450ml bottle is more then enough.
          Re-lubed the pins. They where dry with full of crap.. The dust boots had no cracks.

Will be swapping front ends this winter. Been saying that for the past 2 years... This time it's true. I don't want to spend more money on a rebuilt kit.
          I was amazed how easy it was to flush the system. Any way did 3 reservoirs per side and leaving the leaver pressed over night.
          The fluid was a very dark brown.

Result, Wow what a difference in breaking. It's night and day.
          I should have done this the day I got it.

Comment

I know what you're talking about....after I did my MC rebuild (to include a single braided line). Glad it worked out!

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
            X