Plug n play wheels for '78 GS550E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug n play wheels for '78 GS550E?

Are there any plug n play wheels that I can put on my 1978 GS550E project without major modifications? And that won't cost a bunch? I'm looking to get tubeless rims so I can go tubeless on new tires. My project can't afford too much more from the budget. Aren't there any GS models that have tubeless rims that would be a quick and easy fit?

I'm not looking for anything fancy. I have the original mag rims on there right now. I just don't want to have to mess with tubes but I will if I have to. Again, it needs to be very easy on the budget.

Thanks all.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

I seem to recall reading somewhere here that there is a method in which the existing tube stem holes can be machined to accept tubeless type stems. Good luck.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It's called a drill.

Still leaves the incorrect rim shape for tubeless tires, but some of us have been doing it that way just fine for years.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I didnt know it was that simple....the last tube tire bike I had was my 1100e 15 plus years ago.....
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I drilled the rims on both my bikes to accommodate a tubeless setup and haven't had any issues so far. Just make sure your bead is very clean and smooth to prevent leaks.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I remember reading about drilling out the rims to accept the tubeless valve stems. But I really wanted to try and just get some tubeless rims that would bolt right up to the bike..... inexpensively.

And the whole "tubeless tires maybe not matching up with the tube type rims" issue, I am familiar with that too. It's just, I'm the kind of guy that likes to go with the least amount of "possible" issues so there's no chance of a future issue. Experience has been cruel to me in that, if there's a chance of a possible issue...it will find me. But that's just me.
            sigpic

Comment

I have an attic full of wheels if you can wait a month.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I could maybe do that.... Tires are basically the last thing I'm doing on this project.

In fact, it's the infamous 550/650 engine project. The same project you're doing. How's your project coming along so far? I'm right at the rebuilding of the engine phase. Everything's taken apart and cleaned as best as I can do at this point. So I'm taking my time and covering all my bases. It's going to take a while since setting the timing and installing Dynatek ignition and coils is something I haven't done before.

I'll check back in with you in a while and see what you've got. Thanks
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X