85 gs550 suspension restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs550 suspension restore

So i just acquired a 1985 gs550l the bikes running and passed inspection by a hair. The main problem i have is the horrible suspension sag. The fork dust boots are busted and the top of forks lok rusty but theres no oil leaking out yet. But the rear shock is horrible i can bounce the fender off the tire if i jump hard enough it and wouldnt even think to carry a passenger how low it gets.
    every search yields results for the dual shock gs but i seem to be the oddbal with single rear shock with the adjuster knob under the seat on side of bike and rear drum brake lol
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to restore or upgrade these components mainly.

Welcome to the site.
    I would post up in the parts "wanted" section for a rear shock replacement. No sense rebuilding at this stage.
    If not available here there seems to be a couple on E-Bay.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Welcome to the site.
      I would post up in the parts "wanted" section for a rear shock replacement. No sense rebuilding at this stage.
      If not available here there seems to be a couple on E-Bay.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-Suzuki-GS...637cde&vxp=mtr
      Ok you make it sound like all hope is lost for mines should I rebuild whichever i buy used or are they not serviceable?

Comment

there is a shock from a later bike tht works
        600 katana I think
        its in the old forums somewhere
        the shock is a tad longer but supposedly a better shock.

Comment

I recall a couple of threads of people swapping in other shocks from later models.

If you can't find a suitable donor, I believe there are pricier solutions from Ohlins, Progressive, and Hagon.

'83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            there is a shock from a later bike tht works
            600 katana I think
            its in the old forums somewhere
            the shock is a tad longer but supposedly a better shock.
            I found a thread regarding the first gen katana shock but it was for a gs500e...would it still apply for the gs550l?

Comment

the 83-86 550s used identical shocks and springs so yeah i it fits the e it will wit the l

Comment

What is the length of the gs550ll shock?

Comment

Working...
                X