Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't find exact rear master cylinder

Hi All,

I am in need of a replacement rear master cylinder for my '81 GS 650GL. Ebay shows tons of listings but they don't have the same setup for mounting to the frame. My original has mounting holes on either side of the bore, but the ones on Ebay show both mounting holes on the same side of the bore. Does it just go without saying that you are supposed to make up some type of adapter bracket?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 650L parts bike that still has the whole rear brake system still on it. Not sure if the caliper works, but I could dig it out and find out.

I also found this real cheap on eBay which is the master you need, but the part the hose hooks to looks melted and the shipping is high.
    Last edited by gsrick; 07-23-2015, 07:38 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I was including "cylinder" in my search criteria on Ebay so I didn't pick up the item up that you listed for me. I see what you are pointing out about the plastic piece. I just checked mine and it appears good so I could transfer it. Anyway, I'd be inclined to buy what you have ONLY if you want to mess with digging it out. I'd rather buy from you if you want to sell since you bothered to help me. Otherwise, I'll probably bid on the listing you provided. Mine is flat out shot. The piston is frozen in the bore.

Thanks again,
      Marshall

Comment

Beware this master cylinder- I got two that are frozen solid, so make sure that any seller checks that plunger rod is still free. While both mine appeared OK cosmetically with intact boots, they are locked solid!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Appreciate the heads up. I may just have to buy a new aftermarket one and make an adapter bracket.

Comment

Working...
          X