No announcement yet.

new tire seems out of round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Brian (bwringer) regarding your question about changing the fork oil without removing the forks. The question remains, though, "why?" You may think that your seals are in good shape because there is no leakage. Consider this: they can't leak if there is no oil in there. Why might there be no oil? Because the seals are bad and all the oil has leaked out.

As he mentioned, the correct way is to remove the forks. This will allow you do do a few things:
    1. Inspect the bushings
    2. Replace the seals
    3. Burnish any high spots in the tubes caused by rocks
    4. Change the springs (ok, you can do the springs with the forks on the bike)
    5. Hold the tube vertical, as required in the manual, to set the oil level.

It only takes a couple minutes to remove the front wheel and fender, then it's just a matter of three more bolts on the clamps, the tubes will slide right out. If you do just one at a time, you stand less chance of the headlight assembly falling out of place.

Based on your stated 'gravitational attraction', I would suggest Sonic Springs in the 1.1 rate, along with 10w fork oil. That is what I have on my 850, which is also wearing a frame-mounted fairing. At the back, Hagon shocks would be good (about $200). Talk to Dave Quinn (do a Google search for Dave Quinn motorcycle shocks), he will set you up with the damping and spring rates that should work for you. We have Hagons on my wife's bike, they are a BIG improvement over what was on there. I have an old set of KONIs on my bike. They will need some fine-tuning, but are already almost as good as the front.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X