No announcement yet.

Spoked rim sealing for running tubeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These were engine bolts and nuts, small ones, a hundred or so of them around the engine, in the GE shop in where they rebuild the CF-6 engines. It was not in the threads, but over the heads of the bolts. Was not a corrosion thing, not even completely covering the nuts, the guy assembling the engine said it keeps them from coming out. All of the engines I looked at had this RTV on these same nuts.
    Last edited by tkent02; 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am computer challenged or I would post a link. A guy seals a KTM adventure bike on you tube. he claims to have run over 100,000 miles on sealed up spoked wheels with no issues. Its a time consuming process but uses commonly found sealants. My thoughts were same as posted. How do you maintain spokes? And you are still limited to older style rubber unless you lace up 17" rims. I found plenty of nice tires in 18" & 19" sizes and by running a tube your only dropping one speed rating which is really no problem for street use. On the other hand new radials are very light and would look saweeet on spoked wheels.
      Last edited by limeex2; 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM.
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I haven't tried it, nor would I. Too risky.
        Originally posted by derwood
        To me it seems pointless,
        Why would you need to do away with the tubes?
        Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        Dont see the point, wouldn't even risk it. I cant see how you can guarantee a good reliable seal, plus glooping up the nipples in the rim with "whatever" would be a nightmare when it comes to tightening spokes or retruing the rim.
        Someday someone will invent tubeless spoked wheels. Designed from the outset to be that way. Until then, I agree with the gents above. Why risk it? What's the upside?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Someday someone will invent tubeless spoked wheels. Designed from the outset to be that way. Until then, I agree with the gents above. Why risk it? What's the upside?
          I think BMW already have where the spokes are on the outside of the rim.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Yes BMW has them already.

Rob S......the thing with our GSs, Goldwings, or whatever spoked rim bike that someone would take on a long trip is that if its tubed and you get a flat thats the end of the road till a new tube can be had, tire broke down, etc etc etc..

Now if you had the fore thought to have 12 V mini compressor and a plug kit in the travel tool kit, you can plug it and air it up in just a few minutes and proceed to a stop over for a new tire or whatever course of action you wish to take. And if the town you get to doesnt have a motorcycle shop you can have the local car guy just patch the tire from the inside and be good to go.

Seems its a practical thing to think about doing. I like that sealing tape idea.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

any serious long hauler with tubed tires would carry a spare tube and a set of tire levers. job done. on the side of the road!
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                any serious long hauler with tubed tires would carry a spare tube and a set of tire levers. job done. on the side of the road!
                Yup. Tube, pump, levers and even a patch kit. If you're real good you can patch it without removing the wheel. Properly done tubeless with a proper tubeless bead would be nice though.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                X