Gs450 rear rim composition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450 rear rim composition question

I purchased a digital speedo for my 1983 gs450gad and it requires Magnets to be place on the rim. I was thinking of welding a couple of tabs to rim but I am not sure of the rims composition. It is the spoked wheel version for the Suzukimatics. Anyone know what it is made of? Thanks

Will a magnet stick to the metal? If so, it's steel and you can use a mig welder on it.

Can't you put the magnet on the rotor somewhere?

Comment

Thanks big Rich, a magnet does not stick, so it must be cast aluminum? I have a tig welder that I can use if cast aluminum can be welded. I will research that. And I would put it in the rotor but it has drum brakes

Although, after staring, measuring, test fitting, and looking for a few hours I got a different prospective... the other side is way easier to get to. I think I can drill the part of the hub where the spokes hook without issue. I might go that route.

Comment

Ya know, when I put a digital speedo on my GR I ended finding a "digital speedometer cable" for it. The cable hooked to the wheel side of the speedo drive like a stock cable, but it had wires at the speedo side. Maybe that would work for you if you can find it?

Comment

Epoxy them on. Regardless of the wheel material, you'd have a hard time welding the magnet.

Comment

Working...
          X