Fork oil seal replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil seal replacement?

The fork oil seals on my GS1000G leak like they're not there. The stanchions look very good, perfect chrome. I'm completely new to Suzukis (Japanese bikes in general really), hence my numerous requests for advice on this forum! So, with the seals, is it a straightforward job to get the old one out and the new ones in? My forks don't seem to have any pneumatic assistance (I read somewhere they they did, but no sign of any way of getting air in or out). Any pitfalls I should take care to avoid when doing these seals? Any choice over which seals to buy, or just get standard Suzuki ones from Crooks?

Finally, should a 1980 GS1000G have gaiters? (this one hasn't).

Fork seals are easy to replace, the procedure is in the manual. Don't have it? See the mega-welcome link in my signature.

Aftermarket seals seem to work fine but OEM seals will last longer.

The pneumatic method can only work if you have schrader valves in the tops of your forks. I've found that it works on squishy aftermarket seals but not at all on the Suzuki metal-lined seals. Those have to be pried out. (Carefully!)

No vintage GS came with gaiters.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Charles - this is a great forum for helpful members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        Finally, should a 1980 GS1000G have gaiters? (this one hasn't).
        Anybody with any sense fits gaiters.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X