Air or not? (on 1980 GS1000G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air or not? (on 1980 GS1000G)

My GS1000G forks have no facility for adding air. At the tops of the stanchions (where these are clamped by the top yoke / tree), there is just a threaded plug which has a female hexagon in the centre of which is the head of a slot-headed screw.

All the manuals I've been able to find and download suggest that all the GS1000 forks have pneumatic assistance with Schraeder valves at the tops for adding/removing air.

My bike looks extremely un-messed with, so I'd be very surprised if the forks have been altered in any way, but being a total newbie to these machines, I'b be very appreciative of any expert advice on whether my forks are stock or not.

Thanks in advance, Jon.

If you can't add air the forks are not stock for a 1980 1000G, well at least the tops of them aren't. A picture would help to determine what you have in there, but it kinda sounds like an E model forks, possibly. Upgrade your front springs if you haven't done so already and be done with adding air anyways. If those are the stock springs they're way overdue for new ones anyways. Sonic springs are the way to go in my mind. I used to use progressives but now that I've had some Sonics I'm a believer.
    Last edited by azr; 08-21-2015, 04:14 PM.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Depends which country you're in. Sounds like you have the model with the adjustable pre-load. Do your caps look like this?

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks Hog - yes, i think the caps on mine do look like that. It is (so the previous owner told me) a European bike which he bought in Italy 12 years ago. Does this add up?

I must see whether I can get back into my forum profile and add where i am, what bike etc.

Thanks again.

EDIT: re. adjustable pre-load - is there anything manual / handbook-wise on how this works? Or is it something already covered on this forum, or easy for somebody to explain?

Comment

Well I managed to add 'England' but there's no way I can find of adding what bike/s I have, or anything else. I realise Japanese stuff is generally relatively hi-tech but that doesn't mean everyone who owns a Jap bike has any understanding of techie stuff! This is not a very user-friendly forum - not if you're a technophobe like me anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            Thanks Hog - yes, i think the caps on mine do look like that. It is (so the previous owner told me) a European bike which he bought in Italy 12 years ago. Does this add up?

I must see whether I can get back into my forum profile and add where i am, what bike etc.

Thanks again.

EDIT: re. adjustable pre-load - is there anything manual / handbook-wise on how this works? Or is it something already covered on this forum, or easy for somebody to explain?
            That adds up - Euro spec. The preload adjustment is simple, just turn the screw fitting and you can firm up (clockwise) or soften (anti-clockwise) the ride. Just make sure each side is the on the same setting.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just get some straight rate Sonic springs and new fork oil. You don't need no stinking air.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well I managed to add 'England' but there's no way I can find of adding what bike/s I have, or anything else...
                That's okay. When you see what others have under the line at the bottom of the post, that is information they have put in their Signature, found in "My Profile", then look for the "About Me" Tab. All of that information can be edited under "Forum Actions", "Edit Profile"
                Last edited by BigD_83; 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It helps knowing what rock you're on for sure. I actually didn't know the Euro bikes were different like that, very cool. But again, a new set of sonics will go a long way.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The technical side of this forum might be hard to get to grips with but the people on it are great. I've just had a go at tinkering with the 'signature' thing so it shows my bikes. Let's see whether it worked....

Comment

The technical side of this forum might be hard to get to grips with but the people on it are great. I've just had a go at tinkering with the 'signature' thing so it shows my bikes. Let's see whether it worked....
                      It works. Really rather simple after you learn how wasn't it?
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X