Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mixing tires - avon RR rear, sport demon front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixing tires - avon RR rear, sport demon front?

Just a quick sanity check here. This is for my new-to-me 82 GS1100E

I like the idea of the Pirelli Sport Demons and have only heard great things about how sticky they are, but I'm not willing to put a rear tire on that's likely to be worn in 3k miles.

The Avon Roadriders have generally good reviews, hopefully the cracking is a thing of the past, but I figured I might stick with the Pirelli in the front for grip and cornering.
    Any advantage to having matching pair of tires that would make it worth putting a roadrider in front as well? Or does this sound like a solid plan?

Thanks for any advice.

S

I had a worn Sport Demon on the front and a newish RoadRider on the back of my old 650G, it seemed to work OK.

It wasn't any better than a RoadRider front, just didn't last as long.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      It wasn't any better than a RoadRider front, just didn't last as long.
      heh. fair enough, i guess that's one for the matching set of RoadRiders. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
        heh. fair enough, i guess that's one for the matching set of RoadRiders. Thanks for the reply.
        Boy that was quick, exactly what I was thinking. My first set of tires on my GS1100ED were sport demons and they were great for a while. However they change profile so quickly from wear, that teh handling is changing way before the tire even needs to be changed.

I remember the very dramatic effect of changing to a RR from a worn SD. At the bottom of the hill where I lived there was a round about, and I almost dropped the bike to the inside of the turn ; I had been used to pushing the bike so hard into a corner. I figure the SD's are only good for about 1500 miles and the profile change would be noticeable if you could compare to a newer tire.

Comment

For me mixing tires is like mixing beer and wine... you just don't do it. But that's just me
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I agree with Mr. storm 64. And I always replace mine in pairs
            Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            For me mixing tires is like mixing beer and wine... you just don't do it. But that's just me
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Some mixes are terrible. Others are fine. This one seemed fine to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Change of plans, spoke with another GSR member and 1100e owner. I'm trying a Michelin commander II front and pilot activ rear same as he's currently running

Comment

Working...
                X