gs450L rear wheel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450L rear wheel swap

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the rear wheel of an '82 gs450L with a larger 17" wheel from another model gs450? And if so which models are compatible? Im not sure any will be because of the drum break. Also would there still be enough tire clearance?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2015, 03:51 AM.

Any particular reason you want a larger wheel? Is your drum broken? (Hinted at in your question.)

I don't know how many (if any) non-L or non-T models had drum brakes and a wheel larger than 16".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A regular non L 450 has 18" wheels fore and aft, it should be easy to find one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tire clearance isn't too much of a problem. I have a 130/70-17 tire (on a Bandit 400 wheel) on my GS450S, and that's about the largest I can go.... due to the tire getting close to the swingarm. And I did have to modify my chain guard to clear that tire though.

You can use the back wheel from any GS450 (except the automatic of course), or the spoke wheels from a GS400, or a GN400 (not really an option for you though since it is also 16"). You'll probably need the brake hub and sprocket drive from whatever you get since some are different between the models.

Before I put the 17" Bandit wheel on my 450, I had a back wheel from what I believe was a GS400. I liked it more than the stock "S" wheel since the brake was better.

Comment

i only want the larger rear wheel because i found tires i want that are only available in 17". plus i wouldn't mind spoked wheels. thanks for the replies

Comment

May I ask what tires you found and what is so special about them that you
            are willing to go through such monumental effort to find a wheel to fit them?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm curious as well.

Not to be a downer, but if you're looking at a 130/xx-17" tire, you'll need a really wide rim (and custom spokes)....neither of which are cheap. Have you looked at 18" dual sport tires? There would be FAR less messing around with an 18" tire.

Comment

I'd expect a 17" rim from a 450T to fit your L. I have 120/90 17 rear on my canadian/euro/japanese model 81 gsx 400- they are identical to your 450 except in engine.
                Your front,I think, is the same as mine...a 19"?
                You didn't say you were going to, but a 130 on 17 is not going to work if you want wider tire without a lower "profile"(see Big Rich post re: 130/70 17 ) to bring the width back a bit in the swingarms....and I'd think this (130/70 17) would be a change in handling, especially combined with wrong tires on the front so I wouldn't.
                But just an idea I noticed, and can't help mentioning:
                if you get a longer chain, you can set the wheel a little further back and allow more room for width between the swingarms.

18" rims work fine swapped into my bike but they are narrower rims than the 17". Both rims, front and back need be swapped from the donor or the bike feels and looks odd (to me).

Comment

Working...
                X