Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air/ fork oil/ fork seals question.

1980 850g.
    Has the Schrader valves for air fill on the top of the fork tubes.
    This bike is a project I recently pulled out of the corner. The forks were drained by the po. It just had bouncy Springs with no oil. I aired the forks up for a short test ride and they have continued to hold air.
    Question:
    If my forks hold air pressure (as they have for a week or two now) does that mean my fork seals are good?

Figured I would ask before I added oil only to find it gush out of the fork seals immediately.
    Adam-

If the forks hold air then the seals should be good. You can measure out the correct amount of oil and pour it down the tubes without having to remove them from the triples.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

As was mentioned add the oil without removing forks.

Jack the bike under the engine till the front wheels off the ground, release air from forks, and unscrew the tops.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Right on. Thanks guys.
        I didn't plan on taking the forks off for adding the oil.
        Sounds good.

Comment

To do it right you have to. It takes what, about ten minutes?
          But just to throw some oil in you don't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah..if he wants to break them down and wipe the lowers out spotless he has to remove them. But a basic change / refill simply involves opening the drains and pumping them up and down by rocking on the bars. Then refill with the required amount...with the forks on the bike as i described. I use carbboard layed under the forks to direct the dripping oil into the drain pan. I also like to do them at the end of the day and let them drip overnight on some rags piled under the forks..gets a lot more oil out that way.

May have to move the bars to get to the top caps easier too.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Haha well I did the deed. Just took the caps off and added the pre measured oil. They drip dried last night as I left the drain screws out. This bikes future is uncertain so just adding oil is good enough for now. It's just my rat bike for now.

Comment

Working...
              X