Wheel Logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Logic

Can someone please essplain to me the reason the factory wheel sizes are different? There must be advantages. My 78 1000 runs a 19 up front & a 17 out back. I'd like a more balanced look, possibly to a pair of 18s.
    I need new tires this off season and I want to get my wheels sorted before I order tires (obviously).
    Thanks!

To "balance the look", you will need to make a BUNCH of other adjustments to keep the geometry correct, probably won't be worth it.
    By they time you get done with all those adjustments, the bike would look even more "unbalanced".

Good thing you don't have an L, they have 19" fronts and 16" rears.

Worse yet, one of the newer 550s, 700, 750 or 1150 with a 16" front and a larger rear.

Oh, yeah, the advantages. A larger tire is fitted to the back to handle all the weight. The weight on the front is rather constant, so a smaller tire (smaller cross-section, not diameter) is used. A larger tire is better for handling the weight, but that larger tire would look REALLY goofy on the front for a "balanced" look. A larger-diameter tire will give you a better ride, as it will tend to straddle holes, instead of falling into them, and will have a better approach angle to bumps.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The GS1000S model has an 18 inch rear (though not in every country) and it will bolt straight in to your bike.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The taller front tire rides over obstacles better (think dirt bikes with 21" wheels) and it turns in better, being skinny

Good luck finding an 18" front wheel, much less a tire
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

But I could move to an 18" rear, & keep the front stock...

Comment

Bad Jackson, if you REALLY want a front 18" wheel there are some options. For an 18" snowflake mag wheel, look at one from a GN400. The GS450 E & S used an 18" front mag, but the wheel is extremely skinny (1.6", so tire size is limited). The GN wheel is 1.85" wide so you have many more options. Now for the bad news: GS & GN mags only accept one brake rotor.

You can go with a spoke wheel and lace up an 18" rim though, and it will take dual rotors.

Look at tire diameters for each wheel diameter: normally swapping the rear wheel for a different size doesn't change the ride height very much. Changing the front wheel diameter changes the ride height (and steering geometry) quite a bit.

Comment

Thanks !!!

Comment

So, to summarize...
                A larger front tire is to improve handling over obstacles such as Chuck holes, bumps, & debris.
                The smaller rear wheel is to allow for a larger (thicker/taller) tire which improves ride (more sidewall to flex) and the smaller diameter also "improves" rider position, more.similar to a cruiser.
                Correct?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

You want to alter the front wheel size for looks? Even though you have no clue why these sizes were chosen in the first place? (it wasn't for looks)
                  I didn't think you could see the front wheel while your riding anyway. Or the rear for that matter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tkent02, you are partially correct.

Why do you have such a distaste for the L model?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                      Bad Jackson, if you REALLY want a front 18" wheel there are some options. For an 18" snowflake mag wheel, look at one from a GN400. The GS450 E & S used an 18" front mag, but the wheel is extremely skinny (1.6", so tire size is limited). The GN wheel is 1.85" wide so you have many more options. Now for the bad news: GS & GN mags only accept one brake rotor.

You can go with a spoke wheel and lace up an 18" rim though, and it will take dual rotors.

Look at tire diameters for each wheel diameter: normally swapping the rear wheel for a different size doesn't change the ride height very much. Changing the front wheel diameter changes the ride height (and steering geometry) quite a bit.
                      \

So thee GS450/GN400 wheels will both right up with no mods? But you have no way to install a second rotor to them...

If you go the opposite route(gs850 front wheel on a GS450) it will bolt right up?

Just remove the extra rotor and you are set?

Ca someone confirm?

Comment

Working...
                      X