Leave well enough alone or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave well enough alone or

replace? Talking about fork springs today. I have my forks apart and measured them to find that they are only 1mm short of standard (421mm).

Yes the bike is 36 years old and I am just guessing that they are the originals. My question is this: should I replace with new? or just leave them alone? I was thinking if I did a replacement, I would go with sonics. Would I even notice a difference?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

You would.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Do it!!!!!
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you don't notice a difference, you really have no business riding a motorcycle.

I installed Sonic springs in my forks last spring. Because the 850 is already the heaviest GS, and I have added to it, I chose the 1.1 springs. I went with my usual 10w fork oil at the standard quantity/height. Let's just say that the front of the bike rides like a Cadillac.

My goal now is to fine-tune the KONI shocks on the rear to ride as well as the forks, then I will be HAPPY.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you do with your bike. If you're the type to just put gas and oil in it and ride it at a gentleman's pace, then maybe just putting in fresh oil will be just fine for you. But if you're the type to always be noticing things with your bike and are always trying to keep it performing as best it can there's nothing better than a new set of Sonic springs. Money well spent.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            replace? Talking about fork springs today. I have my forks apart and measured them to find that they are only 1mm short of standard (421mm).

Yes the bike is 36 years old and I am just guessing that they are the originals. My question is this: should I replace with new? or just leave them alone? I was thinking if I did a replacement, I would go with sonics. Would I even notice a difference?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
            At only 1mm shorter, they are not appreciably derated from new. The problem (in my humble, and perhaps slightly biased opinion ) is that they were crap to start with. You'll definitely feel the difference with good aftermarket springs.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Do it do it do it do it. You will feel the difference.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It seems like the consensus is in......I will do it. Going to order the sonics today.

Thanks for all the replies.

Larry
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                X