Radial tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radial tires

Has anybody fitted a set of radial tires to a GS850? If so, what brand and model tires. I recently fitted a set of Road Rider Avons to my GS, and was impressed by the improved handling, until I rode on a rain grooved expressway! They wiggled so bad I feared a tank slapper was in my future! Two other riders were with me on bikes with radials, and never felt a single squirm. The slapper never happened, but the ride was very stressful! tommyturbo

RoadRiders don't do that, there's something loose on your bike.
    Swingarm bearings, steering head, something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree with tk - had a couple of radials on the rear and it cornered like on rails. Not a trace of wobble, shimmy, slap, mis-direction, anything. Only slight difficulty at the time was a lack of choice of sizes. The limited cross-swingarm width meant I could just squeeze a 140 Avon radial in there with paper-thin clearance, but other 140s might be too wide. Otoh, going down a size - 130/80r17 wasn't a problem, and I didn't particularly notice any extra revviness, in the use to which it was being put - back roads and minor main roads, where the slight accelerative bonus was useful.
      Having said that - if you've fitted a pair of radials, the front could be showing up some discrepancy and it might just be that that particular tyre and that particular steering setup don't mix and match very well. If all the wear and adjustment points are addressed, it might be another make will do better - some tyres and some bikes just don't chime well.
      Further, some radials are buggers on rain grooves, and some aren't.
      Last edited by Grimly; 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X