850g progressive fork spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850g progressive fork spring

I recently bought a set of prohressive fork dprings for my 750g/850g the 3 inch spacer is way too long . The information on the spacer length needed was not in the box nor was the the spacers to be cut to size any one know the length of spacer required, i trolled through 50 pages on here and gave up looking
    Thanks help

Originally posted by mazza View Post
    I recently bought a set of prohressive fork dprings for my 750g/850g the 3 inch spacer is way too long . The information on the spacer length needed was not in the box nor was the the spacers to be cut to size any one know the length of spacer required, i trolled through 50 pages on here and gave up looking
    Thanks help
    You should have came here first asking about fork springs. Sonic straight rate springs are used by a lot of us and we, I recommend them highly. As for your progressive springs, if you don't an get answer here, you need to contact the spring maker for that info. Research front fork sag/setting up your front end.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes, the spacer can easily be the wrong length. Just how much too long is it?

With the forks fully-extended, the top of the spacer should be about the top of the fork tube, maybe just a bit above. When you install the cap, it will compress the spring about 3/4".

How to tell if that's the right length?
      Check for "spring sag". With the bike on the centerstand and the forks fully extended, measure from the top of the dust cap on the lower leg to the bottom of the triple clamp. Take the bike off the stand, put your weight on it as if you were riding. Have a helper measure from the dust cap to the clamp. You are looking for a "sag" of 20-25% of total travel. Most of our forks have about 5" of travel, so you are looking for 1 - 1 1/4" of "sag". If your sag is more or less than that, adjust the length of your spacer accordingly. By the way, it is much easier to cut PVC pipe than those metal spacers. PVC pipe is relatively cheap at your local big box store.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Progressively wound springs generally need more preload compared to straight rate springs. (One of their main disadvantages) Instead of the .5-75" you would use with linear springs, cut the spacer so that you have 1-1.25" of static preload on the springs. Check the Note A section of this for directions.

'20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
        X