steering questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering questions

So when my brother in law bought his 1979 GS550 the PO told him that these bikes instead of a steering stabilizer had a kind of flat spot in the steering to help keep it straight. So it holds at straight with slight side to side but just a little more pressure and you can feel it roll out of the straight wheel center position. I wasn't too sure about the truth in that statement. About a week later I bought a 1979 GS75L and it had the same exact thing. It doesn't seem to effect my riding, but am still wondering if this is actually a feature or if there is something that needs to be fixed. I searched the forum but either I am using the wrong terminology or there wasn't anything on the topic. Any input would be helpful, Thanks

Both of those bikes need new steering stem bearings. They should turn smoothly all the way through the range. The bearing races develop notches in them over time. With new bearings and races, the steering will feel much better. I fixed mine for the same reason.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Needs steering head bearings replaced-
      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Haha funny you should post this. As I started reassembling my 850 Project bike last week I found out mine has this magic steering "feature" also.
        Funny thing is that it's dead center too.
        Secret dealership option. Lol

Comment

Definitely need steering head bearings replaced! I replaced mine last summer. What a big difference it made. Adam, get a hold of me, I have the "special tools" needed to make the job a breeze. There's a thread that details the procedure...

My Special Tool offer goes out to any upstanding GSR member.
          Last edited by storm 64; 11-06-2015, 08:56 PM. Reason: extending offer
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Dead center is the only place they ever wear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is why you have that notch:

If you have a Dremel Rotary tool with a heavy-duty cut-off wheel, you already have all the "special tool" that you need. Cut through the race in the frame in two places, the rest of it will be able to collapse a bit and will practically fall out.

Your two cuts could look like this:

Don't worry about putting a nick in the frame when cutting through the bearing race. It won't weaken the frame any, and it won't affect the operation of the new bearings.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everybody for the input. Mystery solved. I will definitely get that fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X