81 gs1100e aftermarket shocks recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100e aftermarket shocks recommendation

Hey guys, finally got my GS electrical demons sorted, motor compression is good...any way was just wondering about rear shocks...wanna ride somewhat aggressively...street only...planning on doing Racetech springs and emulators in front....do I keep stock length (13.25 I think?) or should I go slightly longer? Brand recommendations?

cheers

You should mention your budget
    less than $250
    less than $500
    less than $1000
    or more

Comment

Originally posted by Mack View Post
      Hey guys, finally got my GS electrical demons sorted, motor compression is good...any way was just wondering about rear shocks...wanna ride somewhat aggressively...street only...planning on doing Racetech springs and emulators in front....do I keep stock length (13.25 I think?) or should I go slightly longer? Brand recommendations?

cheers
      Check out the sonic straight rate springs before going to the Ractech stuff. Sonicsprings.com. A lot of us here use them and are happy with them. Rear shocks, keep the stock length, less problems. Lots of ways to go on the rear shocks. I use progressive shocks with a HD spring.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        You should mention your budget
        less than $250
        less than $500
        less than $1000
        or more

less than a grand works.....but I don't wanna pay for more shock than the bike, or my skill set would need.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Check out the sonic straight rate springs before going to the Ractech stuff. Sonicsprings.com. A lot of us here use them and are happy with them. Rear shocks, keep the stock length, less problems. Lots of ways to go on the rear shocks. I use progressive shocks with a HD spring.

Thanks....il look into the springs.

Cheers.

Comment

less than a grand works.....but I don't wanna pay for more shock than the bike, or my skill set would need.

cheers
            How much skill does it take to sit on a bike and enjoy a nice ride?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I had Racetech quote me a set for my 1000E. 1/2" longer than stock, 200lbs rider, internal reservoir, adjustable damping - $899.00. Could spend more with remote reservoir, custom colors, etc.

Works Performance are $560 - $1300; Ohlins about the same as WPs.

IKONs are basically KONIs and run about $4-500. KONIs worked very well on my 1000ST so they're on my short list.

Progressive shocks are shorter than stock and that slows down the steering response; that's show stopper for me.

Comment

I'm happy with my 13.5" Works Performance Street Trackers. I've had them for about 15 years, just had the seals and rods refurbished recently. Do trackdays on them and have yet to scrape a peg.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I guess that would depend if your cruising down the highway, or on back roads slinging it into corners?

Comment

Thanks guys, my local suspension shop is suggesting these....

FOX redefines ride dynamics for ATVs, mountain bikes, motocross, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, trucks, and UTVs.

Comment

Thanks guys, my local suspension shop is suggesting these....

http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m...350&ref=filter
                      "V-twin specific"

They do look nice, though.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

you want the longer ones. 13.5"

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                          I had Racetech quote me a set for my 1000E. 1/2" longer than stock, 200lbs rider, internal reservoir, adjustable damping - $899.00. Could spend more with remote reservoir, custom colors, etc.

Works Performance are $560 - $1300; Ohlins about the same as WPs.

IKONs are basically KONIs and run about $4-500. KONIs worked very well on my 1000ST so they're on my short list.

Progressive shocks are shorter than stock and that slows down the steering response; that's show stopper for me.

Good concise list of likely shocks and relative price and performance.

I went with the Progressives with the HD springs like MRBILL as they seemed like the default choice at the time. Not many miles yet but pretty good so far. What I didn't know was that they were shorter than stock. Next time around maybe slide the forks up half an inch and get a set of half inch longer IKONs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                            Good concise list of likely shocks...Next time around maybe slide the forks up half an inch and get a set of half inch longer IKONs.
                            Now I'm confused. We talking front or rear?
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Now I'm confused. We talking front or rear?
                              Sorry; shocks.

But the height of the shock was mentioned.

Shock height/length has a big impact on handling. In the same vein I mentioned sliding the fork up into the tree a bit. This has a similar type impact on handling.

It was mentioned that the Progressives I bought were shorter than stock. For many the last thing a GS needs is a mod that SLOWs handling. A slightly longer shock and sliding the forks up a bit are two ways to impact how 'quick' the bike handles.

Probably makes some sense to limit both ends to about an inch or less change from stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X