Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is correct wrench size for brake bleeder screw on 1979 gs850g

Hi everyone,

I took my old bike out for a ride around the block the other day (just got it on the road for first time and took it on the first ride) but it seems a gremlin got into the brakes. The left front caliber was leaking slowly, it was ridden for a couple rides by Steve, and it seemed fine, I took it for a ride... After 45 mins of practicing duck walk and friction zone exercises.

I went down the sidewalk for 50 feet then on the road, a couple streets down, a left, couple streets down, another left, and then a left back onto my street and when I stopped I realized the brake lever was at the grip with no resistance.

I got it back to the shed and checked it out, very small leak and front brake master cylinder was empty. (Were just redone onall calipers, and new fluid in).

I'm v going to refill the brake cylinder, bleed and find the. Leak.

What size bleeder wrench do I need for this ?

Sean

8mm most likely... and a regular spanner is fine, no special wrench is required if you're careful.
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

use an 8mm, 6 point socket, less chance of stripping the bleeder bolt

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
        use an 8mm, 6 point socket, less chance of stripping the bleeder bolt
        Hard to bleed properly when the top of the nipple is covered with a ratchet... unless you don't use a clear hose and just let the fluid dribble everywhere. Hard to see bubbles that way... and it's not great for your brake pads.
        2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
        2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
        2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

I was referring to him just un-seizing the bleeder screw, once it is free obviously use the box end of an 8mm combination wrench to bleed the brakes,

I have seen lots of people strip small bolts by using the spanner side and 12pt. box end side to break the bolt loose, using a 6pt socket he has less chance of stripping the bolt.

Comment

Working...
          X