Replacement Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Brake Lines

Hello all, I have a 81 GS650GL and Im looking to replace my brake lines.

I have seen many threads on doing this, but usually with stainless steel lines. I absolutely agree that stainless lines are superior, but I am short on funds for the time being, I just put a good amount of money into the bike, and its the holidays.

Does anyone have a source for a more budget friendly brake line replacement? I am not the most skilled person out there, and i know little about constructing brake lines, but Im sure i could figure it out with the proper direction. I do plan on using stainless lines eventually, now just isnt the time.

Thanks all,

John

I have ordered from Apex:

I am not sure if this listing is exactly what you need, email or call Raymond before ordering: 416-900-2594

Comment

I bought a complete set of brake lines. Black-coated SS braid from them. They are very well constructed. I plan to install them on my 1000EN.

Comment

The seller that Vmass linked to is the cheapest option for SS lines, and they're pretty good quality. Search the forum for "rennsport", you'll find lots of references to them.

Your only other option is new OEM rubber lines which are inferior, not much (if any) cheaper, and will have to be replaced after two years according to Suzuki. (Never buy used rubber lines.)
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Apex looks perfect for the price, i really appreciate it!!

Comment

Originally posted by jchaplick21 View Post
            Apex looks perfect for the price, i really appreciate it!!
            Another vote yes for Renn Sports ( Apex) They do a great job and most likely have the set you need already spec'd out in their database. Don't waste your time building your own, they build a good product

Comment

Just bought front and back for my 78 750 from Renn sports (Apex) $130 can. shipped

Comment

Brake lines from Earl's components (all parts made in USA)

- Hose ends are $6 - $8.75 each, depending on configuration. The $6 end is the standard straight version.
                - Hose is $4/foot

Assemble using normal hand tools and a bench vice.

According to the owner of ANPlumbing the pull off force for the screw together hose ends is higher than the machine crimp type.

The hose end length for the Rens Sport lines is much longer than the Earl's (or the OEM) hose ends. You gotta be careful to make sure you have enough length for routing.

One advantage of making your own lines is you can easily customize length and routing by yourself. You aren't stuck with a standard configuration.

Last edited by Nessism; 12-10-2015, 07:59 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just picked up a set of SS lines for my 82 GS1100GK , they were Russell #09040 $99us on Ebay they are 1 into 2 as per stock setup
                  I may try the Rens sport for the rear as it is simple 28-29"

Comment

I would never cheap out on brakes. SS Lines and EBC pads have saved my life more times than I can count...I'm sure others on here will say the Same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      I would never cheap out on brakes. SS Lines and EBC pads have saved my life more times than I can count...I'm sure others on here will say the Same thing.
                      Totally agree. Missed another deer this fall because of premium brakes. Try e-mailing this guy, cbxdavey@gmail.com from ZRX forum, its were I got mine. I need 1 more set so i will try these leads as well.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                      X