Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire suggestions for '77 GS400

Hello,

Currently looking for replacement tires but having troubles finding matching brands to supplement the front (90/90) and rear (100/90) tires. Has anyone successfully put 110/90 on the rear and 100/90 on front?

Any direction is appreciated

Thanks

My 450 has 100/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear on it now. It handles like ****. Tip in feels funky as Hell as does accelerating out of a sharp corner in a low gear.. Ordered the 90/90-18 and 100/90-18 RoadRiders today, I'll let you know how they go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the reply tkent02

definitely. Let me know. Did you order online?

Comment

My vote goes to Pirelli Sport Demon's, awesome tire's and a lot of sizes for our older bikes, a little more pricier than the Avon's though

Comment

They don't make Sport Demons in those sizes. The 18" front and the 100 width rear makes them a bit hard to find.
          Yes, ordered online, American Mototire this time, have all used Southwest Mototire, Dennis Kirk and a few others.
          Sometimes buy them off Amazon.

Actually I just checked, Pirelli does make the 90/90-18 front, but the 100/90-18 is only available in a front tire.
          Not sure how well it would work using a tire designed for the front on the rear, probably get away with it, but why when there is a perfectly good RoadRider in the correct size made for using on the rear? The Roadriders last a lot longer anyway, they handle great to the end and they are cheaper. They are very nice handling tires.
          Last edited by tkent02; 01-30-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys -- I' checked into putting a tire labelled "front", and using it on the rear. Apparently it's not recommended as the tread patterns are directional and specifically designed for either front or back. *shrugs*

I will continue to look online -- I'm in Canada so my options may be a bit limited.

thanks again.

Comment

Check out

Cheapest tires online in canada, that's where I buy mine

Comment

How did those Roadriders work out Tom? Shopping for a set of tires myself.

Comment

Very very good. The improvement in handling was phenomenal. Didn't get to really cornering hard on them, as there was still some sand and gravel around but just going into and out of corners was very much better, the goofy turn in was gone, the squirming when opening the throttle coming out of a turn was gone. It felt like a completely different motorcycle, very solid but very quick, light and maneuverable. Much easier and more comfortable to ride quickly down a twisty road.

Comment

I'm 100% with Tom on the RoadRiders, love 'em!

I had Sport Demons on my 450 in the larger 100/90 and 110/90 front/rear sizes and I had exactly the same issues with weird turn in feelings. The profile of the front was distorted way too much by squeezing it on the skinny rim.

The 90/90 and 100/90 RoadRiders are just spot on, no more weird tip in feelings and they actually give me what feels like a slightly softer ride on the road.

I'm also getting about 2000km's more out of the centre of the rear compared to the Demons which can also be attributed to being squeezed to the wrong profile on the skinny rim. Unfortunately most of my km's are on the commute which tends to kill the centre of the rear before the sides.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

And which sizing did you guys use for tubes? Standard size i.e. 300-18, 350-18 or metric sizing.

TIA.

Comment

While you could probably just go with two 3.50 X 18 tubes, I'd think that in theory a 3.00 on the front would be the right thing to do. I'd rather have a tube a bit small and have it stretch to fit than have it get a fold in it. Basically, if the original size tubes don't fit the tires you're using, the tires are too big.

I have yet to see metric sized tubes. But then maybe I just don't get out enough.
                        '82 GS450T

Comment

I've seen tubes sized at 100-100 and 110-100 thus the confusion on my end. Easy way is just to call. I want this tire, sell me tubes and rim strips.

Comment

Come to think of it why would I need rim strips? It's not a spoked wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                              I've seen tubes sized at 100-100 and 110-100 thus the confusion on my end. Easy way is just to call. I want this tire, sell me tubes and rim strips.
                              I knew it had to happen. They've come up with an oval tube to go with the low profile tires.
                              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X