1100 front on a 78 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 front on a 78 1000

What would be the advantage of putting an 1100 front end on my 78 Litre? Salty_Monk said he was running an 83 front end on his Skunk but he never said why. There must be an advantage to some degree. I think there is an 1100 bike in a salvage yard near me, and I could probably get it cheap. I am getting ready to have some stuff powder coated & this would be on my list.
    I've read the threads on suspension upgrades, but they always jump to Katana or other much newer bike fronts. Would I need the triple tree & all of it?

Thanks.

The later GS forks worked a little smoother, but I don't think there's enough advantage to be worth doing. Better springs and cartridge emulators can make the '78 forks work pretty well too. Does your '78 already have dual front brakes? If I was swapping parts anyway to get dual brakes I might consider it. Going through the hassle of changing steering heads and everything else I'd look for something more modern.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      I'd look for something more modern.
      Yes that. Search GSXR forks and look at some past threads/posts from John Kat. He seems to have a grasp of that conversion. FYI the EZ/ED forks aint all that.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've never really rode modern bikes, and I was planning on new springs & emulators in the near future. So I think with all that & a fork brace, I'll be happy with the original set-up.
        Yes, I have dual discs on the Litre. I am already collecting parts to do the Salty brake upgrade. I have the Kawi twin pots already, and they will be stripped & powder coated along with everything else.
        Brake rotors, twin pot calipers, black SS lines, wheel bearings, and a newer style Master Cylinder all to be done before this season starts is the plan.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.
        That's one less purchase to make & one less project before spring!
        (And it was 60° here on Thursday... yikes!!!!)
        I have to get moving!

Thanks!
        Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X