Rear shocks options for an '80 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks options for an '80 850G

Now that I just nailed down new fork springs it's time to think about the other end...what are my options for new/slightly used rear springs for me {190lbs} and my heavy G?{1980 GS850Gt = roughly 600lbs ... same combined weight total as a '52 chrysler 265 flathead with twin pots-ouch}
    I've seen quite a few of the cheapy units on the bay...and realize they're just that. Ohlins look nice, but do I really need to spend more on those than I did the bike{yeah, I kind of know that answer already}...progressive {not the insurance company} has some offerings and I've seen a few decent Showas too. I'd like to retain a dampening option if I can...
    This is an old cycle that I want to improve the handling on but know up front that trying to meet brand new cycle standards is out of reach with the frame she's got.
    Thoughts/ideas?

"I'd like to retain a dampening option if I can."

yes, good idea! You're going to be told to cough up the money and get new shocks.
    i'm cheap, so last summer I got brave and picked up a used set of showas- I'm happy . Lately, I been looking for backup set as insurance. Lots of used ones available for the heavy 850 which would kill me on my 650.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      "I'd like to retain a dampening option if I can."

yes, good idea! You're going to be told to cough up the money and get new shocks.
      i'm cheap, so last summer I got brave and picked up a used set of showas- I'm happy . Lately, I been looking for backup set as insurance. Lots of used ones available for the heavy 850 which would kill me on my 650.
      The 3 Showas I saw were straight up spring types, preload but no damping. I'd figure anything for a 1000cc {eye to eye type} would be a good starting point though one can get shocks built for rider and bike.
      I've also read onsite that getting a 1" taller rear shock will aid in better front end handling, which I'd be all for {tightens up steering angle a little}.

Comment

Sort of a personal choice, depending on how fussy you are about the features you want. I spent more than most here would think sane because I wanted control of both compression and rebound (YSS). This after using a set of $90 shocks (MDI) that are so overdamped they're only better than struts. Hagon has a good reputation for being a decent shock for reasonable money, and Progressive can be in that ballpark too. Anything less than about $200 new isn't worth the money.

Going up from there, it depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to learn about adjustment. To get damping adjustment (with "self adjusting" rebound), everything will work in about the same way, but with cost all over the map. Nothing in this category was what I was after, so I don't have a specific recommendation here, other than not to overspend (Progressive).
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Sort of a personal choice, depending on how fussy you are about the features you want. I spent more than most here would think sane because I wanted control of both compression and rebound (YSS). This after using a set of $90 shocks (MDI) that are so overdamped they're only better than struts. Hagon has a good reputation for being a decent shock for reasonable money, and Progressive can be in that ballpark too. Anything less than about $200 new isn't worth the money.

Going up from there, it depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to learn about adjustment. To get damping adjustment (with "self adjusting" rebound), everything will work in about the same way, but with cost all over the map. Nothing in this category was what I was after, so I don't have a specific recommendation here, other than not to overspend (Progressive).
          I hear ya, but as you stated, to get something decent will cost over $200...and that's fine by me. What did you wind up with - if you don't mind saying?....trust me, I won't laugh...you'd have to see my model and O scale stuff to understand about "my" understanding of one's own possible over spending on things.{lol}

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            I wanted control of both compression and rebound (YSS).
            How long have you used the YSS shocks, and how do you like them?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Starting at the bottom:

MDI/EMGO/Chinese cheapies - about $100. Springs are not bad, but WAY over-damped, making the ride VERY stiff for any load under about 500 pounds. I have ridden a couple bikes with these, will never buy any.

Hagon - just over $200. Call Dave Quinn Motorsports, talk to Dave. He will help you select spring and damping rates, based on your weight and riding style. I have ridden a couple bikes with these, found them rather good, but not tailored to me. If they were tailored for me and my bike, I can only imagine they would be that much better.

Progressive - just over $300. Progressive has 'standard' spring and damping rates, "heavy-duty" options are available. I have ridden bikes with them installed, found them rather good, not not necessarily $100 better than the Hagons.

Ikon - $420-520, depending on options. Ikon bought out Koni's stock and production back in 2000, when Koni went out of the motorcycle business. Great shocks, many features. I have ridden on some Konis, I think the Ikons would be pretty much the same.

You have more money available? There are more shocks available, too.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

The Ikons look nice and happen to have damping adjustments...I don't get the $100 price difference shown for one set of shocks, but they do look nice...liking the all black models or the lighter aluminum versions...probably for more money, of course.

For my curiousity and anyone elses that may search this thread- what other options are there...go on up to Ohlins...or better{?}.

Comment

I think the adjustable damping Hagon's are about the cheapest way into that feature.

YSS shocks with adjustable damping are about $500.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                    I don't get the $100 price difference shown for one set of shocks, but they do look nice.
                    I think the $100 difference is whether you choose black or chrome, and maybe whether you get the covers over the springs.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                      I hear ya, but as you stated, to get something decent will cost over $200...and that's fine by me. What did you wind up with - if you don't mind saying?....trust me, I won't laugh...you'd have to see my model and O scale stuff to understand about "my" understanding of one's own possible over spending on things.{lol}
                      Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      How long have you used the YSS shocks, and how do you like them?
                      I ordered YSS RG 362-335 TRCL from EPM Performance Imports, Inc. They seem to be the importer for the US. Like any competent shock seller, they grilled me about the bike and myself and how I ride so the oil, valves, springs, etc. would be correct. I was supposed to get 5 clicks of compression adjustment, and somehow got the upgrade to 30. So, I have adjustable preload, compression, rebound (20 clicks, I think), and length (stock+10mm). Lovely build quality. I have the reservoirs mounted to the front because of the 1100GK luggage rack (which needed a slight alteration). They cost nearly twice what I paid for the bike.

I got them last summer, and the upgrade from the MDI/Emgo shocks is, of course, enormous. Much more comfortable, and the rear end is now under control. They have a valve stack (think cartridge fork or emulators), instead of the simple ported piston you get with almost anything up to about $500*. It's hard for me personally to compare them to other performance shocks though. The only other experience I have with shocks of any quality is the KYBs that came on the ZRX. ZRX owners sometimes look to YSS as an upgrade path, but YSS also offer fancier ones than what I bought. I don't find a huge difference other than finer adjustability, but there are probably other factors obscuring the comparison.

Right now, I think I have the YSSs set a little more harsh than they could be, but that's because they're compensating for the front end, which is stock except for Progressive springs. One of the seals is starting to weep again, the anti-friction coating on the wear bands is gone so I have textbook stiction, and the oil is probably too light. Maybe it's the gouges in the lowers that's a problem more so than the oil being too light. So anyway, the front end, when it moves, tends to pogo in corners and dive under braking. One of my projects for this winter (I'd better get moving), is to get a set of forks with at least good lowers, then rebuild with Racetech emulators and springs, and new tubes if necessary.

The ZRX showed me just how bad my GS suspension was. It's costing me quite a bit to get it where I now want it.

*Racetech has good information on motorcycle suspension technologies buried on their site if you want to know more, but their shocks have terrible bang/buck.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Progressive also sells higher end shocks than the $250ish 412 series (and similarly priced Hagon offering) we usually put on GS bikes. I have a set of 430 series shocks on one of my bikes, and to me, they are well worth the extra $120 they cost over the 412 shocks.

Much more compliant with a wider range of preset adjustability than the 412s. They are just one notch below going to the $500 range shocks discussed earlier in the thread.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Ikons will run about $600 with springs. In my opinion they're very close to the stockers. They can customize the length for you too.

Comment

Dogma. those look nice...I'd pay that....and paid just about that for my cycle. I just ordered 1.0 Sonics for my forks since she was diving under "moderate" braking, hopefully the new springs will fix that issue.
                            These old girls have style that the new bikes just can't touch...but they need help in "better" handling. If I wanted superior handling, great charging and gadgets, I'd pony up for a new cycle....I like what I got though - she just needs a little TLC, some upgrades due to age and just shy of 14K on her clock!

Comment

Wrong post to address this, but I was just wondering if 10mm is enough since a few folks here state that an added 1" to rear shock height will tighten up the steering angle better.....10mm{3/8" roughly?} is much - but I honestly wonder how much angle would be lost with going an inch {30mm) higher in back?....just thinking out loud...

Comment

Working...
                              X