X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT750 Rear spoked wheel, Fitment issue

Hello!

MY BIKE: GS550 1982 EZ

I Bought a GT550 rear spoked wheel (atleast i thought i did.. read on!) without the drumbrake.
    Then i bought all the parts for this wheel (brake shoes, drum plate, and so on) None of the parts has arrived yet (ebay)

Today i was gonna change bearrings on this wheel.
    When i got the bearrings out and went for the new ones, they didnt fit...
    Not even the axle size is the same.. The old bearring "hole" is 20mm, and my rear axle is 17mm..

I guess the seller of the wheel thought it was from a GT550, but i think its from a GT750, after reading here- > http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0

SO, to my question...

WTF should i do with all these parts that dont fit?

Can i somehow get this wheel to work?, Will the GT550 Drum plate fit the GT750 wheel?
    OR Will a GT550 HUB work as replacement in the wheel?
    Should i try to get a GT550 wheel and sell the GT750 wheel?

Its a mess

/Rockstone

Can I ask why you are wanting to put a GT550 wheel on your GS550? Are they known to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      Can I ask why you are wanting to put a GT550 wheel on your GS550? Are they known to fit?
      Yes, I want spoked rims, GT550 should work. Already changed the frontwheel.image.jpg

Comment

The front hubs are same from GT 250 through to GS1000, rears are different, the GT750 I think is closer to what you're wanting, take out your axle and see what differences you have. I have an idea that the GT750 hub is different to all the other GTs' in that the brake side there is a groove on that runs round the periphery of the hub.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
          The front hubs are same from GT 250 through to GS1000, rears are different, the GT750 I think is closer to what you're wanting, take out your axle and see what differences you have. I have an idea that the GT750 hub is different to all the other GTs' in that the brake side there is a groove on that runs round the periphery of the hub.
          Yes, i guess gt750 is different..

Comment

Took some measurements on the rim. Can someone confirm this is a GT750 Rim?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

the first picture shows the groove I mentioned, I think this is unique to the 750 hub.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb
                Wheels are from a 1975 GT750 & a 1974 T500.

Service Bulletin GT-33 deals with the GT550 brake upgrade.

Let me know if you need some more pics.
                Hey!, Thank you very much for your help
                The "groove" that Tatu speaks about would be great to see a picture of on your T500 wheel.

Or have anyone confirmed my wheel is from the GT750?

Im not really sure what you mean by "Wheels are from a 1975 GT750 & a 1974 T500."
                Did you confirm my wheel is from a 750 ?

Comment

I was referring to the source for my wheels: a 75 GT750 & a 74 T500.

Does you drum say “MAX DIA 180.7mm”? (Its not shown in your pic because its under the brake shoe.)

Your first pic with the yellow ruler shows a measurement of about 48mm.
                  But the ruler is leaning a bit. What is that measurement with the ruler vertical?

Your brake shoe is obviously not from a GT750.
                  What is the width of the brake lining?

I can post the additional pic this evening.
                  Yes my drum says “MAX DIA 180.7mm”

"What is that measurement with the ruler vertical?" Its 47,7

The brake shoe is for GT550, Just bought from ebay.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Used a ruler that didn’t have the little clip on the end, and got a width of ~ 1-13/16” (~ 46 mm) for the GT750 drum brake surface.
                    There is a lip at the base of the brake surface & you will get a slightly larger measurement if you include it. (see pic)

You have a GT750/RE5 wheel.

All of the smaller Suzukis used a narrower rear drum.
                    Suzuki decided that the GT550 rear brake that they used on the T250/T350/T500 needed some improvement, so the late GT550s have brake shoes that are 4mm wider.
                    Thanks for your effort in helping me with this
                    Today i recieved the brake plate (that holds the brakeshoes)
                    It fits on the rim.. But maybe the whole thing is to wide for my swingarm?, Havent checked that...
                    Maybe its easier to just get a GT550 rim.

Comment

When you check for fitment issues, also take a look at sprocket alignment.

Take a close look at the service bulletin if you go the GT550 route.
                      Suzuki used the GT550’s drum on several other bikes.
                      The GT550 & T500 have an 18x2.15 rim. The T250/T350/GT250 have an 18x1.85 rim.

I ordered a GT550 wheel instead.. Tired of this problem

Comment

Working...
                      X