Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuos 630 chain install or not to install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuos 630 chain install or not to install?

Hello. I am changing back to the stock 630 chain and sprockets from a PO conversion. The 630 OEM chain is continuous. No master link. I am wondering if I should go buy a new 630 chain with a master link or do the extra work and take off the swing arm in order to install the chain on the counter sprocket? The chain and sprockets are all in great shape. Any input would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Piney1100 View Post
    The chain and sprockets are all in great shape.
    Then what's the rush? I won't give you any grief about going in the reverse direction from most of the guys here (530 to 630), but be prepared for it.

I recently replaced my chain and sprockets, and looked into the 630 continuous. It's very expensive - hundreds of dollars, IIRC. I got a very good o-ring 630 for less than $100.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I meant to say that the original chain and sprockets are in fine shape. The 530 sprockets are not the stock teeth and a bit worn. I have the stock chain and sprockets (630) and they are in great shape.

Comment

For The Love of Our Bikes

Wow! $100 bucks for a 630 Chain?

Thank you Bill. You helped me during our attempt to do the 530 conversion on my "T" but as we know, ran into some problems.

You let me have yours only because you knew I needed it. What a great Friend you are! The 630 you gave up for me even has a master link! My goodness you are a good friend.

OP, if all is good...reconsider making a quick decision. I can relate to wanting to make things happen right away. We are excitable when it comes to getting things done on our bikes.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Pulling the swingarm will give you a chance to grease the bearings. Never a bad thing.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Pulling the swingarm will give you a chance to grease the bearings. Never a bad thing.
            That's exactly what Bill did to my "T"! You guys are so resourceful!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Is it necessary to remove the swing arm to install a continuous chain?

And while we're at it (hijack alert), how big is the power difference 630 to 530? I've heard it might not be enough to be noticeable.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes Rob, it is necessary to remove swingarm to install continuous chain...well, that doesn't sound right. Bill installed a 630 with a master link.

And I'm sure there's quite a difference in power considering both sprockets must be changed and "hello!" the chain is lighter! That don't mean it makes it faster...I just wanted to say that.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-21-2016, 06:26 PM.
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It's not that much work to get the swing arm off, and like Ed said it's a good chance to have a look at the swing arm bearings. As long as your sure the 630 chain is good, also check the master where it was pinned, no harm in using it.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                  X