Thoughts on making a hoop fork brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on making a hoop fork brace

I have a friend at work who can weld it up but I have some design questions.Like what type of steel?Rods or tubing for the hoops?Really should have looked closer at the few I've seenThis would be for my 78 1000.

Are you talking about this kinda design?

These looks mo betta to me
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Those "mo betta" ones look like the standard brace that sits under the factory 1100 plastic fender to me....

I like the hoop ones for proper old school. I doubt they do all that much though to be honest. It will be tube not rod. That much rod would weigh a ton!

With tube you get a lot more strength by adding diameter as opposed to adding wall thickness. That looks like 1/2" possibly 5/8" to me..
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Go measure up Rob's

I sold him one a few years back
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Are you talking about this kinda design?

These looks mo betta to me
          Yes that's what I'm thinking about in the first pic.What you think looks better looks like the inner brace on my 85 750EF

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Those "mo betta" ones look like the standard brace that sits under the factory 1100 plastic fender to me....

I like the hoop ones for proper old school. I doubt they do all that much though to be honest. It will be tube not rod. That much rod would weigh a ton!

With tube you get a lot more strength by adding diameter as opposed to adding wall thickness. That looks like 1/2" possibly 5/8" to me..
          This post got me thinking about why to do it.I think they add some rigidity to the forks.The question is with as slow as I tend to ride why do it.I also wonder how I'd get tubes to bend like that without crimping them.Hardly seem worth the effort for a look

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            Hardly seem worth the effort for a look
            Oh, come ON. How many guys go to a LOT more effort (think "Sawzall") to achieve a "look"?

Your effort would at least have some practical value.
            I ride many bikes.
            Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Sooke, the tube ones are near impossible to flex by hand compared to the stock-ish plate style. Can't speak for how they differ mounted to forks though. And the friend doing the welding? Ask him about how to bend tubing. It's really not that bad if you follow the proper procedures.

Comment

I needed to bend some 1/2" square steel tube for a swingarm brace.
                I looked on youtube and found plenty of DIYrs showing how they do it.
                I made a bender the right size for my project and now the deed is done.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

SS would defo look mo mo betta.
                  GS1000G '81

Comment

Remember that you're trying to build a brace. That is, a device that maintains the proper relationship between the left and right fork sliders. You must take caution when bending tubes to be used as a fork brace that you don't put unwanted influence on the fork's position. Don't let form influence function. Just because it looks cool don't mean it works.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                      Remember that you're trying to build a brace. That is, a device that maintains the proper relationship between the left and right fork sliders. You must take caution when bending tubes to be used as a fork brace that you don't put unwanted influence on the fork's position. Don't let form influence function. Just because it looks cool don't mean it works.
                      I do know the purpose of a brace,it would be made to do it's intended job.Will investigate tube bending further and would most likely make a jig to hold it while it's being welded.Yeah I've been thinking about it but I'm still not sure it's worth the effort.
                      So I'd like some input on what kind of steel to use.With all due respect this is NOT a place to use Stainless and I do love my SSThe plan is to PC it with my PC kit if I do it at all.

Comment

Well, that looks like? 1/2" round steel tube?

Comment

Yeah I'm probably over thinking it

Comment

In looking around it seems like getting 1/2' steel tube won't be easy to get.I could but it'd be a long tripWhat about doing it in aluminum,provided my welder buddy can do it of course.Bending aluminum rod would be easier to,maybe?
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

It would take HUGE hoops to be rigid enough to do any good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X