Looking for input on some suspension updates for 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for input on some suspension updates for 1150

I have been hanging around this board for about a year since I picked up my 85 1150. This is my first post since joining and am looking to get some opinions/help on ideas I have to update the 1150. After reading lots of threads here and doing some research I have come up with a plan to update a few suspension related items. My overall goal is to maintain a stock look, and make some slight improvements while replacing what I assume are some tired parts.

1. Sonic springs in the forks. Really wanted to go with springs and emulators from racetech, but after several phone and email attempts I have yet to receive a response. I even contacted a local racetech certified dealer and they also never got back to me. Would consider yss valves, but I dont know anything about them.
    2. Hagon rear shock. Anybody have a better suggestion for a similarly priced item? Is the remote adjuster worth the extra cost?
    3. Stainless Steel brake lines. Pads and rotors are good. Bike stops good as it is. Just thought this might be an easy way to improve the overall braking feel.
    4. 530 chain conversion. 30 year old chain can't be doing time any favors at this point.

That's it for now. I would appreciate any input on these items or suggestions related or unrelated. The bike is a two owner bike before me, has only 10,000 miles on it and was maintained fairly well. Has a v&h street pipe with K&N individuals and is dialed in nicely. Clutch, tires, and full carb boil/cleaning done within the last two years.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the length. I will post picture when I have a chance to take them.

1) The owner of Sonic is a member here, RichieDesmond (or something to this effect). Nice guy. I'm sure he would be glad to assist with your questions.

Regarding Race Tech emulators are concern what is your question? The Race Tech website has a fitting guide which should answer your questions or post them here.

2) Hagon is decent.

3) Stainless lines are great. I'd take apart the master and calipers and clean them out really well before install to assure you are starting fresh. I like to make my own lines using Earl's parts since this allows me to fully custom fit the install.

4) A 530 chain is good. I'd wait for the stock 630 to bite the bullet first though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by matt1150 View Post
      I have been hanging around this board for about a year since I picked up my 85 1150. This is my first post since joining and am looking to get some opinions/help on ideas I have to update the 1150. After reading lots of threads here and doing some research I have come up with a plan to update a few suspension related items. My overall goal is to maintain a stock look, and make some slight improvements while replacing what I assume are some tired parts.

1. Sonic springs in the forks. Really wanted to go with springs and emulators from racetech, but after several phone and email attempts I have yet to receive a response. I even contacted a local racetech certified dealer and they also never got back to me. Would consider yss valves, but I dont know anything about them.
      2. Hagon rear shock. Anybody have a better suggestion for a similarly priced item? Is the remote adjuster worth the extra cost?
      3. Stainless Steel brake lines. Pads and rotors are good. Bike stops good as it is. Just thought this might be an easy way to improve the overall braking feel.
      4. 530 chain conversion. 30 year old chain can't be doing time any favors at this point.

That's it for now. I would appreciate any input on these items or suggestions related or unrelated. The bike is a two owner bike before me, has only 10,000 miles on it and was maintained fairly well. Has a v&h street pipe with K&N individuals and is dialed in nicely. Clutch, tires, and full carb boil/cleaning done within the last two years.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the length. I will post picture when I have a chance to take them.
      1) You won't get any argument from me on the Sonic Springs. The emulators do help some, but it's not a bad idea to try just springs and oil first. That's were the bulk of the improvement comes from.

2) Hagon is a good value option in a shock. Much better than stock. Not as good as Ohlins or Penske, but not as spendy either.

3) SS lines and a good bleeding will really help feel. Ed makes a good point on cleaning the master and calipers.

4) Hard to imagine a 30 year old chain doesn't have some tight spots, it's probably ready for replacement. Definitely go with 530 for that.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Welcome from another 1150 owner. Ive read that a Ducati monster shock will fit with little to no trouble, but have no personal experience yet.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

yes the remote adjustor is worth having.
          you ditch the anti dive , and emulators are the most effective way to do that.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the responses. Hopefully I will have everything on order by the end of the week. Going to go with the sonic springs (from sonic of course), 530 chain conversion (from z1 enterprises), Steel brake lines, and Hagon shock.

I could not find the 1150 listed on the race tech site. After leaving voicemails and emails over the last couple weeks with no response I have given up. Their lack of response doesn't inspire confidence in their customer service or tech support.

Thanks again and I will post the progress later.

Comment

racetech is somewhat notorious for a lack of support. I do have the emulators and springs in my 1100, i like them.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
              X