Who makes good shocks for the GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes good shocks for the GS1100E?

My 1982 GS1100e is starting to go up and down in the rear when leaning over in the turns. The shocks appear to be factory shocks with progressive springs but I am sure they are shot. I looked online and the only shocks I could find that had adjustable dampening was the very expensive Works Performance and the Ohlins brand. The Works performance goes for $1500 for the set and they have progressive springs, adjustable preload, adjustable compression dampening, and adjustable rebound dampening. They also have external oil reservoirs to keep the oil cooler. Are they really worth all that money? Do you think they will really help the handling of y bike or would I hardly notice a difference between them and the cheaper versions that are not adjustable in any way other than preload? I can get Works Performance shocks that are only $600 but they don't even have adjustable rebound dampening! I find it funny how the factory 1983 shocks are adjustable but for $600 you can't even get adjustable shocks here in 2016. Or am I just not looking at the right brand? Are there other shocks out there I haven't looked at yet? If the expensive ones will help, then fine I will save up the $1500. What do yall think? Thanks

BTW, I already searched the forum and believe it or not there were just like 2 threads already started on this subject and none had the content I was after.

I'd personally recommend the TEC shocks, check them out here:

Can read more about them here:
    This past week I got my hands on a set of TEC Alloy Reservoir shocks. User SaltCityCafe from the DoTheTon.com forum sent me a pair and in the name of science I gave them look over. For this analysis I … Read More

I installed a similar set on my GS1100 (without adjustable rebound dampening) and couldn't be happier. Rear tire stays on the ground and feels stable at highway speeds on lovely Michigan roads (sarcasm).

356.jpg
    1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
    1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

You need to define what you want. Smooth comfortable ride, or do you prefer bikes that ride hard? Apparently most riders want their asses pounded, or at least shock makers think they do, because a lot of new shocks do that very well. A comfortable ride with great control and handling is a lot harder to find.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        You need to define what you want. Smooth comfortable ride, or do you prefer bikes that ride hard? Apparently most riders want their asses pounded, or at least shock makers think they do, because a lot of new shocks do that very well. A comfortable ride with great control and handling is a lot harder to find.
        Absolutely right. Suspension is supposed to be compliant and balanced between proper damping in spring rate. What's the point in 4 - 5" of travel if everything is so stiff that you're only using 2" of it.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I am just looking for a good set of shocks that will keep the rear tire down on bumpy roads, not let the bike bounce in the corners, and have some adjustable rebound dampening so when I run at the drag strip I can adjust them to rebound slower for better control on the launch. Adjustable compression dampening would be nice but not required.

Comment

Check out Gazi and YSS. Both of these companies have shocks with adjustable damping for much less money than Works.

Hagon also have shocks with adjustable damping at a reasonable price, although I think they are a little less advanced as these others.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Check out Gazi and YSS. Both of these companies have shocks with adjustable damping for much less money than Works.

Hagon also have shocks with adjustable damping at a reasonable price, although I think they are a little less advanced as these others.
              Thanks alot I think I will go with the top end YSS as they are not only adjustable but they are reasonably priced. I never found these companies with just google searches so you really helped me there!

Comment

Working...
              X