Weird thing with rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird thing with rear shocks

So I went for a ride on Sunday. When I got back I popped the side stand down and it seemed to be a bit more upright. Didn't think much of it. Went in the house, came back out and it caught my eye that it was significantly shorter than normal. Closer inspection my rear shocks were colapsed / depressed. pushed down on the seat, pulled up on it, nothing moving... I took a hammer and gave them some "love taps" and it SLOWLY came back up and sits normal. I can push and pull on it and it feels normal again. Very weird thing, that has never given me any troubles before. They are the stock shocks that up till now have been working very well. The adjustable damper even works still. Should I be putting a little teflon lube on the shaft now and then? Just wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this...
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

This is nature's way of telling you that you need new shocks- best not to find out if they could freeze up/down while riding.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah, I figured that would be the consensus response... Just don't have $200 left in the bike budget right now...

I have a spare set of stockers, they are just a lot softer than the ones on it...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Can I use the stock springs from my old shocks on a set of progressive shocks?
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

Comment

You could but it defeats the purpose of progressively sprung shocks to use single rate stock shocks. If you get a set of 12s from Z1Enterprises.com they will install the springs for you and you can select the correct spring rates as they will know what they should be for your particular application. Save your coin while you use the alternate set of shocks. Don't use the ones that sagged as they are DEAD.

Comment

My stock spring are in great shape. It's the shock that got bound up. hell until that happened the shock even worked really good. I wasn't clear that the progressives didn't come with springs, and can't afford to buy them right now. I will get them, just not right now. If my stockers will work for now, I'm good...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

Comment

I run these on my fiance's 750L and they are awesome. Will be getting a set for my 850 in the coming weeks now that riding season is crawling out of bed up here in the northeast. Don't be put off by their low price these shocks are quite good and prices lately have dropped. If those aren't your thing color wise take a look here.

Comment

Those look nice, but I alreadt bought a set of progressives... Would have tried them if I didn't already spend 3 times that...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

Comment

Well, the market for dirt cheap shocks has definitely improved.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yea I saw you had purchased the 12's after the fact sorry about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X