Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork tube removal problem

1982 GS1100E forks with anti dive.
    Having a problem removing the fork tubes to replace the seals. I've removed the cap, spring and damper rod (thanks for the tip on the 1/2" threaded rod and nuts) and the fork seal retainer ring and clip. However, the fork tube still will not come out of the lower leg. It makes a fairly solid 'clunk' just as the lower, non-machined portion of the fork tube becomes visible. I don't want to force it without knowing what might be down there preventing it from coming past the seal.

I hesitate to attempt removing the seals as it would be difficult to do without scratching the fork tubes. Any advice will be appreciated.

I have just disassembled mine. That clunk I believe is what your hearing when the bottom of the lower fork hits the seal itself. Actually that helped me get one side of the old seal out.

The other side the upper fork came out with the seal still in place in the lower tube. I used a screwdriver at that point, there was no danger of scarring the upper tube.

Comment

Yep - you just have to give it a bigger tug.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yeah, the lower slider guide/wear ring will pull the seal out with it when you give it sufficient enough of a tug. It helps to get a running start. Think slide-hammer. Its actually strangely satisfying to do.

Comment

When you get it apart Id be curious to see a pic of your bushings. I put new bushings in when I did mine and the forks were still sloppy. I still believe this is the root cause for my high speed weave. How does yours handle at 100mph ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            When you get it apart Id be curious to see a pic of your bushings. I put new bushings in when I did mine and the forks were still sloppy. I still believe this is the root cause for my high speed weave. How does yours handle at 100mph ?
            Root cause is more likely to be swingarm bearings and worn out rear shocks. High speed weaves generally start at the rear.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Root cause is more likely to be swingarm bearings and worn out rear shocks. High speed weaves generally start at the rear.
              Thanks for the feedback Rich but its like whipping a dead horse. Ive changed all that. Look at this vid and tell me what you think......

Sorry for the hi-jack.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was just a case of a little bit more force, but figured caution was the best approach. I'll give them a good slide hammer yank next time I'm in the shop.

I've never had the bike up to 100mph. I mean, really, the speedometer only goes up to 85, so the bike doesn't go any faster, right? :-) Haven't had it on the road in some years, but never recall any sort of looseness at any speed. The only thing I remember is that, if you let it coast down from 60 or so with your hands off the grips, it would develop a severe head shake. Instantly goes away by grabbing the bars again, and never a trace while holding the bars.

Thanks again for the advice, now to get those seals replaced, front end back together and actually take it out on the road again; been far, far too long.

Comment

Working...
                X